Golden Song Sparrow topic

For questions about any species that doesn't have it's own area and for general information on foreign birds.
Trilobite

G'day All,
I was just wondering if it would be possible to start a heading for Golden Song Sparrows, I think this bird has a lot to offer and would be of interest to a fair majority of intermediate breeders/hobbists :!: : I know that there are quite a few breeders out in finch world that would be able to add some insights (likes, dislikes, best success, worst mistake, housing, compatability, colony or single pairs, ratio of males to females, etc etc) to this thread.
Any thoughths and or suggestions welcome.
Cheers
Trilobite
Diane

It shouldnt be a problem.
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits
Danny

My two cents worth -
eat their weight in mealworms (their preferred livefood) daily - expect to use $50+ worth of mealworms to raise a clutch of 2-3
like jacaranda or poinciana twigs for nesting
do better in close association with others either in a large aviary or next to each other in small single pair aviaries - like to bicker but the latter allows this without them disturbing each others breeding attempts
ready to breed when the males beak turns black - livefood before this period is a waste - while the beak is flesh coloured they should be on an austerity diet or they will get fat
can be kept with other species but as disruptive as zebs or javas
they are hard on their hens so even numbers is best.
Trilobite

Thanks Danny,
I managed to get four out this year with a pair purchased very late in the season, fortunately we have termites (which they hammered), maggots and mealies in good supplies. Are there any trade secretes that can be used to sex the young with any degree of certainty or do I have to wait until they completely colour up. I have noticed some faint yellow on the cheeks and chins in the one that is approx 5 months old, nothing on the younger ones. Thanks for the breeding tip.
Cheers
Trilobite
Danny

Trilobite wrote:Thanks Danny,
I managed to get four out this year with a pair purchased very late in the season, fortunately we have termites (which they hammered), maggots and mealies in good supplies. Are there any trade secretes that can be used to sex the young with any degree of certainty or do I have to wait until they completely colour up. I have noticed some faint yellow on the cheeks and chins in the one that is approx 5 months old, nothing on the younger ones. Thanks for the breeding tip.
Not really as some hens can show a yellow wash and look like young cocks but then not get any brighter as they age.

Return to “Non Specific Questions”