Finches gone mad

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
Page0044

Hi Everyone,
Well i have been flat out at work for the past 2 weeks and besides food and water for the birds i haven't taken much notice that nearly all my gouldians have gone to nest, :o i didn't even notice that all the nesting material that i have put in was all gone. I threw some more nesting material in and that lasted about a hour. Also had a peek in one nest and there was 3 eggs :D and didn't want to disturb any others. Can't wait till they hatch as one of the females is a white head, white brested yellow.
Cheers
Greg
Cheers
Greg
Steven

Hi Greg congrats on the eggs hope they hatch for you
Page0044

Thanks Steven, will have to keep more of a eye on there activity.
Cheers
Greg
Cheers
Greg
Mickp
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

good luck with the breeding.
any chance of a pic of the white head,white breasted gouldian?
Mick.
Finch addict and rodent hater.
Page0044

Hey Mick i will have to wait till she has finished sitting on the eggs as i don't want to dissturbed her at the moment. She was sold to me as a whit head but is more of a dirty white as if she has been rolling around in the dirt, but its different and i don't think there is alot around.
Cheers
Greg
Cheers
Greg
Mickp
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

until now I had never heard of a white headed gouldian. so am looking forward to seeing a pic when it is safe for you to take one.
Mick.
Finch addict and rodent hater.
fincher

hey mick you can only get a white headed gouldian if its a black headed yellow back jso in other words it is a black head yellow back just to let yous know
great news about your gouldians. i have got 1pr down atm split blue. then me 3 other prs arnt even interested but it is still early. plus it has been too hot over here and dont really want them to go down as yet
thanks chris
Page0044

Hey Chris, good to see that your gouldians are breeding, let me know what you get from your split blues. I have though about getting some blues but all of what i have heard they don't have a long life span. I will get a pic of my gouldian when i can as she is sitting on eggs at the moment.
Cheers
Greg
Cheers
Greg
Matt

Good to hear everyones Goulds are doing well.

I have two pairs sitting at the moment that should give me black headed yellow hens. A couple more are in the early stages of nesting.
Also have one pair which is in a seperate aviary with some parrot finches that just fledged 3 young. This pair failed twice last autumn, had a break over winter and have now reared 2 clutches very late and haven't moulted at all. I was assuming they would finish up and finally moult once these fledged, but today I saw the cock bird singing again and took a look in their box, sure enough they've started another clutch. Some birds just don't want to follow the routine!
Page0044

Hi Matt, good to see your gouldians are breeding, the seasons have change so much over the last 15 years and the birds seem to breed when it best suits them.
I had some painteds in a holding cage for 2 weeks and they started laying on the floor, i have also just put 6 pairs of black throat finches into there new avairy and 2 days later 3 pairs are building nests. I beleive that you give them the right conditions and a good diet they well breed when they want to.
Cheers
Greg
Cheers
Greg

Return to “Breeding Finches”