Keeping diamond doves

nathan morley

the owner of the pet shop mixed budgie and finch mix for my doves but the pet shop makes it for the doves and it is really high quolity and cheap $2 a kg.
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

All good then , my parrot mix is Budgie / Finch / Sunflower and Safflower .
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
nathan morley

cool i add extra french and hungerian millet in mine.
Last edited by Mickp on 12 Jun 2011, 14:32, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: spelling mistakes, please fix them
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Mine just eat the standard finch mix. Though I have noticed a preference for white millet. Ditto what has been said about their nesting requirements, poor nest builders, canary nests or shallow boxs without lids are best. Mine though the cocks fight have never feather plucked or caused bald spots, maybe a more gentle strain? Always lay 2 eggs and usually hatch and raise 2 chicks. Always 1 of each sex. If only one is raised it is almost always a boy. They are inclined to flap about so mine are only kept with Zebs and Bengos now. They are also quite good breeders so it's not hard to wind up with quite a few. I like only have normals at the moment but have has silvers, very pretty. Never seen anything else this side of the country but always interested.
LML
LML
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I have a normal boy and a silver hen or vice versa . Very excited to see what they produce colour wise.

Yes crap nest builders , a friend had some on eggs in a dish with 3 or 4 pine needles , that was it for nesting materials .
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
nathan morley

Ok thanks
thehammer

Yes easy to breed but not as bad as Barbary Doves. For nesting platforms you can make a support from bird wire, cardboard boxes, cut-down plastic milk containers, etc.

Silver is recessive, so normal x silver will produce all normal split silver offspring.
If parent is normal/silver x silver will produce 50% normal/silver and 50% silver offspring.

Anyone on the forum keeping Pied Diamond's?

Return to “Doves & Pigeons”