Pigeons and Finches

jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Just wondering ....

Can Spinifex Pidgeons and Finches be housed together . Thanx Folks
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
grass finch14

Yes pigeons and finches can be housed together the onley thing is that the pigeons might scare the finches at first when the pegeons are settling in.
BENSONSAN

Are u getting spinifex pigeons deb?
E Orix

Deb
Keep an eye on them,some time past I was told they knocked off some young Painteds while they were sitting on the ground.
How true I can't say,I am reasonably sure they are quite territorial to other ground dwellers.
Great little bird though.
Tintola

Most species of pigeons, especially smaller ones usually called doves, can be kept with finches. Spinifex Pigeons are a different story. Being an almost total ground dweller one would think that they would be most suitable, but not so. The males in particular can be vicious, sometimes even to their own mates.

I have kept them for about ten years with finches, small parrots and softbills and have not had any trouble until a bird, any bird, cannot get off the ground to get away from them. The cock Spinifex will relentlessly pursue and kill it. This has happened to fledgling parrots, bush budgies, finches, canaries, doves and some softbills. The adults birds are totally ignored.

The biggest mistake is to house them in with any ground dwelling species that can't get away, particularly quail.
The exceptions to this would be birds housed in a very large aviary, 20mtrs X 20mtrs and larger, with plenty of cover. Even then some losses could occur.
Proceed with caution.
OH LORD, SAVE ME FROM YOUR FOLLOWERS!Image
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Ben the question was posed by the other half as he has a liking for the Spinnies . They are a nice bird .

Painteds do like to hang around at ground level dont they ? and the Quail and Diamonds also.

Very helpful T and EOrix ...they probably wouldn't go too well with the Scarlets or the Princess Parrots either .

Ok Thanks folks , once again very helpful.
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent

Return to “Doves & Pigeons”