Mixing japanese and king quail?

flap

We have sold some king quail to someone who keeps Japanese quail. Are they likely to have any problems by keeping the two species together?
flaP
Tintola

Depending on the size of the enclosure and the number of quail, then yes, there could be some problems. I have seen them kept together but the Japanese were introduced to the King's aviary, so the larger quail were the newcomers. The other way around could present aggression problems from the Japs. Much better results if they were raised together from hatching.
OH LORD, SAVE ME FROM YOUR FOLLOWERS!Image
Buzzard-1

The Jap's see young King's as a quick snack, apart from that as Tintola say's if the enclosure is large enough and there is ground cover it should be fine.
flap

Thanks for that feedback, I will let the people know. :)
flaP
thehammer

I have seen Kings run with Jap Quail successfully without fighting. I had the two species together in the same aviary without a problem. They weren’t raised together and from memory I think I added the pair of Japs to the aviary already housing Kings. The main problem was the male King’s continual interest in the Jap hen. A mate even bred Japs and Kings while they were kept in the same aviary.

I have also seen in someone else's aviary where the opposite occurred – the Jap pursued the Kings until they were a bloody mess - in this situation the Kings were added into an aviary already housing a single male Jap.

I have also run Kings and Stubble together as well as Kings and Painted together.

Return to “Poultry & Game Birds”