Book Advice? - ABK Guide to Australian Grassfinches

Share your favourite books and links here.
sierranomad

Greetings:

As much as I appreciate the knowledge found on this forum there is nothing like having a book to read while sitting in your easy chair drinking a cup of joe.

I've been looking for a good book on finches, and picked one up at a pet store when in town the other day. In reading it though, I was quite disappointed because it says that finches can't be kept below 18C (and members of this forum have indicated that their birds do fine w/ temps regularly as low as 0C in winter). This bit of misinformation calls into question everything else that they say. For instance, they also say that the only way to be sure that your birds get adequate nutrition is to feed pellets.

I've looked through some of the threads in "Books and LInks" and it seems that ABK books are highly regarded. Thing is, I'd like to get a book that covers everything (food, housing, health, various species). The closest I could come up with is this book, A Guide to Australian Grassfinches.https://birdkeeper.worldsecuresystems.c ... assfinches

It covers Zebras (which I have) and Stars (which I want to get), but doesn't cover Societies or Goldfinches (which I have). On one of the threads, someone mentioned that ABK books are written for Australians. But I figure that my birds don't know they aren't in Australia :) What is meant by "written for Australians"? Does this simply mean that it lists suppliers, organizations etc that are found in Australia?

Is this a good book to get if I only get one? If not, do you have any other to recommend?

P.S. Hmmm. There is also this book by R. Kingston The Finch - A Breeders Companion https://birdkeeper.worldsecuresystems.c ... -companion It's a bit pricey but considering the number of pages of each book it is a better buy. Any thoughts on one book over the other?

Thank you,
MadHatter

Hi sierranomad, both those books are by the same author and both are excellent. The first, as the title suggests, covers only the Australian Grassfinches (the Australian native finches in other words) so it's scope is limited. The other title is much more comprehensive, covering all the finch species available to aviculture in australia, including Weavers, Whydahs and Cardinals as well as all the more 'typical' finches. It also will make brief mention of other species found in aviculture overseas, where their care and management differs from that of their nearest relatives.
In short, "The Finch ... a Breeders Companion" is well worth the extra expense and will surely be the premier reference manual on the subject for many years to come.
sierranomad

Thanks Mad.

I just started to order it but found that they charge $104.15 for shipping!!! Yikes. :shock: :shock: :shock: I expected $20-30, but over $100???

If one of you Aussies comes to the US to visit Yosemite I'll give you a place to stay if you bring me Breeders Companion. (I'd pay for the book, of course). ;)

Edit: It took a little digging, but I found someone in the US that sells the book. They charge $40 for shipping, which is high, but I still save $65.

Thanks again MadHatter! :)

Return to “Books And Links”