Tips on breeding chestnut finches.

Includes Species Profile.
trmn8r2c

Hi guys I have a colony of chestnut finches in my aviary around 10 birds all up I was just wondering if anyone had any tips on successfully breeding these birds? Thankyou
tonytoast

Just had my first 'unsuccesful' nest....

Had some purple fox tail grass growing up into some spiky leaf melaleuca branches and they built in there...they used lots of grass to build their nest.

Not sure how many eggs were laid but only one hatched...it died at about 10 days with a full crop of seed so guessing it was a night fright.

Both parents incubated and they never left the nest unattended when the little one hatched.

They were a little active with the white ants but spent most of the time feeding on seeding grasses and in the mulch on the aviary floor.

I know of two other breeders who have young at the moment.

Good luck with them.
BENSONSAN

Hope to hear more about this topic from others. There a beautiful bird. Dare say the license factor and cheap price is why not many people are keeping them. Like double bars a red brows.

I love hearing more info on birds and have gained so much knowledge from this site Look forward to hearing more about the good ol bully.Sorry I don't no much about them but interested to hear.
trmn8r2c

Thanks for that info, I might give them another go this season and see what happens with them. I'll have to get a lot more bush etc.. Into the aviary.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Used to have them a while back. But due to lack of avairys and not wanting to have another accident. Lonchura's will cross. :oops: Don't anymore. Mine liked a nest box of wood about 12cms square inside. On the wall at about 1 mtr above the ground. Greens and a good seed mix and cuttlefish.
LML
LML
Tiaris

Are you sure the 10 birds contains cocks & hens? Handy starting point.
They are very much grass-loving birds so grass-filled mesh cylinders or tall grasses tied into fake tussocks may be slightly more attractive nesting sites compared to dry brush.
Seeding grasses/greens are their main dietary stimulus for breeding.

Return to “Chestnut Breasted”