Moving my Canaries

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
Harvey11

Can i move our canaries(pair) from my avairy to my cabinet now, to breed or wait till it warms up a little.......... :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

Thanks Harvey11
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The aviary is outside and I think your cabinets are well sheltered so they should be fine to move .
Good luck , hope you have a very good breeding season.
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Harvey my new hen has just hatched 3 chicks in the last week in the avairy. But remember we think 4 degrees is freezing here.
So i would say go for it and good luck. :thumbup:
LML
LML
djb78

Hi Harvey I would say you can move your canaries now as that will give them time to settle, some canaries ar e already starting to show interest in breeding. For me this is the time I start to pair up my canaries together.
Danny
Brett

We moved our canaries into the cabinet from the avairy over the weekend,they seemed to have settled in great.
We have got them in great condition giving them lots of greens and egg biscuit ect...over the past weeks.
The male canary has not been singing for a while, we moved him up to the cabinet first and left him there for a bit and he started singing,until the hen was moved up..

Questions..
1We where told to separate them in the cabinet with the divider for about a week.?????
2.We gave them 2 nests to pick.???
3 Any other suggestions or advice would be great..

Dates on pics are wrong.

Posted by Harvey11
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Brett on 15 Aug 2011, 22:08, edited 1 time in total.
mattymeischke

Mine have started nesting in the last week or so. I keep them in aviaries, so can't comment on the cabinet question.
Two nest sites is good, but make sure there is some screen or brush partially concealing it so they can feel a bit private.
When mine are feeding chicks, they eat heaps of green leaves and unripe seeds.
Some favorites are chickweed, milk thistle, dandelion, wild oats, lettuce (leaf and seed) and Phalaris.
I could post pictures if you aren't familiar with these weeds.

If a pair are slow to breed I give them heaps of green seed and leaf and they often get on with it.
Avid amateur aviculturalist; I keep mostly australian and foreign finches.
The art is long, the life so short; the critical moment is fleeting and experience can be misleading, crisis is difficult....... (Hippocrates)
Harvey11

Green seed and leaf...????????? :think: :think:
I have just started giving them winter grass,it is loaded with seeds...

Harvey11
mattymeischke

Wintergrass is great. That's one of the few seeding weeds we've got here right now.
By green seeds I mean unripe, not dried seed. They have much more amino acids/protein than dried ones.
It sounds like you're doing everything right.
Avid amateur aviculturalist; I keep mostly australian and foreign finches.
The art is long, the life so short; the critical moment is fleeting and experience can be misleading, crisis is difficult....... (Hippocrates)
Brett

Thanks for replys

The male canary is a real joker he has a great personality.. 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) :lol:

Brett
djb78

With cabinet breeding I wouldn't separate them yet, if they show no signs of breeding within 3 weeks you can separate with a wire divider so they still can see each other but no contact for about a week( unless you see them trying for contact) then remove the divider this should help with getting their mojo going but some hens are late starters. As for food all the above is great as for greens you could also add cucumber, broccoli,spinach ECT as these are great for vitamins and minerals because the healthier they are the better the breeding. I also like to give them boiled egg and I find this seems to get the hen in the mood for breeding as this is what my young are raised on not a great lover of egg biscuit but have it for backup dried. Brett/Harvey if the canaries aren't ready there isn't much you can do if al the food is given but wait.
Danny

Return to “Breeding Finches”