Leg rings

Includes Species Profile.
Diane

rip64 wrote:On leg rings - is there a relatively simple formula/plan in leg rings if numbered rings are not used - I always get a bit lost after the third generation - I seem to go OK up to twin colour rings then their offsprings matings really confusses me - I then document colours and start again with single colour, surely there is a method ??Is it as simple as using numbered rings ??
There are a few methods detailed in this topic
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=3765&hilit=+michael" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits
gomer

Budgie club rung birds have their own system that others use aswell.
A recurring colour system for each yr. I now also use this system on my birds.
07 green
08 black
09 red
10 blue
11 purple
12 gold
13 green
14 black and so on
Only works if you turn over your birds atleast every 6 years.
I also have the year stamped in mine aswell as initials and number.
As already stated it is only a asumption that the previous owner used this system.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
Tintola

malibu_birdie wrote:Tintola, why did you delete your comment? I had a good laugh over that, really brightened my day :thumbup:

Oh O.K. I'll put it back then! When I re-read it I thought Hmmmm all of the other sensible, adult minded members were answering you with helpful, constructive answers. Didn't seem right to leave it there and risk you taking offence. :)
OH LORD, SAVE ME FROM YOUR FOLLOWERS!Image
AMCA26

All true gomer.
All club birds will have club inituals and numbered.
rip64 you could use numbered rings, so etc Hen 100 with Cock 88 then the young from them could be a coloured plastic ring etc for other pairs as well plus have all details written down of parents and what young have plastic ring colours. So then second you would have all plastic rings as parents and then those young could have numbered rings again. Could just save some money just a thought.
Breeding Show Zebra Finches, Blue Gouldians, Pied Orange Breast.
malibu_birdie

Ok they are in an avairy with a pair of grizzle pied zebs that I got from the same person. The pieds have no rings at all so I am not even going to bother to guess their age. I got them all on Saturday. They avairy is well positioned and has some bottlebrush branches in it and some nest boxes on a shelf at the back which they have claimed and spend a fair bit of time in. The floor is pavers with a layer of clean dry sand and a handfull of swamp grass for them to gather if they wish (there is also a handful in each nest box). Is there any other info I need to provide that I have forgotten?

PS: Thanks Tintola :clap:
AMCA26

malibu_birdie, i guess you have to take the breeders word that the bird or birds are the age that is on the rings. I would think most zebra breeders will breed more birds than legrings ordered as you can only use the current ring colour for showing so seems a waste of time putting 2yr old rings on a show winner and then not be able to show the bird. I bought a Cream cock that was a few yrs old and still breeds now nothing wrong with him, not the right coloured Cream but throws nice Cream hens.
Breeding Show Zebra Finches, Blue Gouldians, Pied Orange Breast.

Return to “Zebra”