My curious zebbies

Includes Species Profile.
mattymeischke

I have these curious zebbies:
orange zeb cock.jpg
orange zeb pair (shrunk).jpg
I have been playing with them for a couple of years, and am pretty sure it's an autosomal recessive mutation.
Given the huge number of mutant zebras, it seems unlikely that it is a novel mutation....
The two goodlooking cocks I have also have prominent breasts and a ventral midline groove, seen better in this one:
orange zeb cock turning.jpg
They are active and busy, fly well, and breed like..............well, like (zeb)rats.
I saw some similar birds in Holland some years ago; they called them "Oranje" zebras (Dutch for orange).
What would we call them in Australia?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by mattymeischke on 21 Aug 2011, 08:48, edited 1 time in total.
Avid amateur aviculturalist; I keep mostly australian and foreign finches.
The art is long, the life so short; the critical moment is fleeting and experience can be misleading, crisis is difficult....... (Hippocrates)
TheFinchMan101

Wow there so pretty, they almost look fawn charcoal to me.
Ps. You got some pretty good pics there as well. :thumbup:
AMCA26

Fawn Charcoals for sure. Do not see many around. I had good size Pieds in the Fawn Charcoals years back. I actually regret selling them all off.
Last edited by AMCA26 on 21 Aug 2011, 21:15, edited 1 time in total.
Breeding Show Zebra Finches, Blue Gouldians, Pied Orange Breast.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Have something similar, which I am trying to establish. But not as successfully as you by the look of it. Cause by the time I breed another young cock his dad will fall off the perch and getting the girls established is just not happening. Patience needed. But mine are a little less red and definately do not have that crease in the breast.
LML
LML
Harvey11

Great looking Zebs and they look in top condition

Harv
Mel7610

Gorgeous Zebra's matty,Mabe :idea: Harvey Fresh Zebra or Naval,Valencia :!:
No really they are Beautiful. The hens have a fair bit of colour too.
mattymeischke

Thank you all for kind comment...
finchbreeder wrote: Cause by the time I breed another young cock his dad will fall off the perch and getting the girls established is just not happening
My girls seem a bit soft, too, for whatever reason.
The hen pictured here is the first one to successfully raise chicks.
That clutch (of four) is colouring up now, but includes 2 white-throated birds with white edges on their wings, and two others that seem to look unlike their parents too.
I'll post some photos when I get home from Darwin.

I find the horizontal black striping on the chest very beautiful, and have been trying to extend this trait with some limited success; these guys were a byproduct of that program.

Finchbreeder, AMCA26: If either of you want some, I'm happy to share (not in it for the bucks...). West coast might be a bit tricky, but Melbourne is manageable.
Avid amateur aviculturalist; I keep mostly australian and foreign finches.
The art is long, the life so short; the critical moment is fleeting and experience can be misleading, crisis is difficult....... (Hippocrates)
wagga

My charcoals were produced fawns like these a couple years back. As I wanted normal grey charcoals, no other mutations if thats possible with zebras, I culled them and their parents from the aviaries. I had fawn charcoal cocks and hens but never let them breed.
Unfortunately my charcoals were of average size?? and markings. I am not breeding show quality birds as some of my birds still have partial white rump stripes. Last year I introduced a normal grey show stock hen, 1st new blood into aviaries, which has since produced a clutch of split charcoal birds. These splits have an increased body size will hopefully enhance my original stock. They were going to be my new start at breeding better quality birds.
I originally started with 5 pr of charcoal zebras brought about 8 years ago. Now after culling them down over the years I left with just 2 pr. This will soon come to end as I have closed down the aviaries and will be selling the last of my birds this weekend at the RFS sale at Wagga.
Note: I will have them in the future
Life in Port Macquarie is the ultimate Aussie sea change lifestyle.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Mine came about by deliberately crossing a full body colour charcol hen I had bought in for new blood to a fawn cock to try to get exactly what I did get. :thumbup: Mine do not have anywhere near that leval of striping though. (Really like the look of it) Now the boy has been rested, only got normal looking fawn hens out of his last mating. Will give him a new mate and back to work for him. I breed my Zebs seperately. In individual cages. Have done the avairy breeding thing in the past and was too prolific and hard to keep track of who was responsible for who.
LML
LML
AMCA26

mattymeischke wrote:Thank you all for kind comment...
finchbreeder wrote: Cause by the time I breed another young cock his dad will fall off the perch and getting the girls established is just not happening
My girls seem a bit soft, too, for whatever reason.
The hen pictured here is the first one to successfully raise chicks.
That clutch (of four) is colouring up now, but includes 2 white-throated birds with white edges on their wings, and two others that seem to look unlike their parents too.
I'll post some photos when I get home from Darwin.

I find the horizontal black striping on the chest very beautiful, and have been trying to extend this trait with some limited success; these guys were a byproduct of that program.

Finchbreeder, AMCA26: If either of you want some, I'm happy to share (not in it for the bucks...). West coast might be a bit tricky, but Melbourne is manageable.

The ones with white on them will be Pieds. The parents may both be split for Pied so the young showing no Pied may be normal or Splits. The chest area everyone is tying to get that solid black.
Breeding Show Zebra Finches, Blue Gouldians, Pied Orange Breast.

Return to “Zebra”