I'm getting some St Helena wax bills

Includes Species Profile
nathan morley

I I'm getting some st Helena wax bills from enfield produce for $75 a pair.
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

More foreign finches ...pays to look outside the square hey Nathan . :thumbup:
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
nathan morley

Yeah I'm saving up my money I went to the pet shop on saterday and they had lotsa of different types of wax bills like st Helena wax bills , red cheek cordon blues , orange breasted wax bills , red headed pytella Etc now I I won't some :lol:
djb78

That's good Nathan that your not limiting yourself just to Aussie finches, you'll find that some foreign finches to be just as exciting to keep and just as stunning as our Aussie finches, got my first st helenas by mistake- got loose in my aviary not my brothers. They breed very well love live food.
Danny
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

saint helenas are beautiful birds - you'll love them :D
yes $75 is a good price from a pet shop, although it pays to look around to make sure there are no cheaper birds that are in good condition being sold by local breeders ;)
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
djb78

Things that worked for me in breeding them were, tea tree branches attached high on the wall- they prefer to build natural nests, grasses- fine grass stalks such as swamp grass and even long fresh blades of creeping grass &feathers -they didn't take any sticks also they will take hesion striping the same as canaries. Don't disturb them- they aren't very tolerant to sticky beaking around their nest. With food give them seed, greens fruit&veg seeding grasses- live food I feed mine mealworms and the odd occasion they get maggots, the amount varies out of breeding seaso they will get 6 each during breeding season I would put in 10-12 each and sometimes more if I know that there are young about. I could put a whole container full and it would be gone so the amount would be best judged by you. Just remember Nathan this is what works for me you might have to ajust this a little to work for you.
Danny
teg33

Jayburd wrote:saint helenas are beautiful birds - you'll love them :D
yes $75 is a good price from a pet shop, although it pays to look around to make sure there are no cheaper birds that are in good condition being sold by local breeders ;)
My local pet store sells any bird other than zebra finches for $120-$160 a pair. That includes Chestnuts, oranges breasts, java sparrows, gouldians, helenas, double barrs, and painted finches! Rip off much?
Birds, Drumming, Vegetarianism, Animal Welfare, dogs, animals, and books :)
E Orix

The current price of St Helenas from a breeder on the East Coast would be $40/$50 a pair possibly now closer to $50 p.p
djb78

Yes I understand teg, I tried earlier this year to buy a pair and all that was around were pairs ranging from $100-140 per pair, I wouldn't pay those prices so I'll have to wait till next years youngs are ready to be sold. As Eorix has said that buying from breeders will be cheaper and will come with a history compared to a dealer/petshop which will be more expensive. I believe that they are harder to come by now down here in Vic which may reflex why the prices have seemed to rise a bit and why they are becoming harder to obtain at a reasonable price.
Danny

Return to “St Helena Waxbill”