canary people

amalan11

Well 2 weeks ago I got my boy canary canute a lady and from the moment he saw her he was in love,non stop singing ect.Obvisly romance has bloomed they were mating in 5 min and constantly together until about 5 days ago when she started collecting grass and feathers and built a huge nest in a feed dish(he did nothing to help! lazy devil).
Now with nest all built I saw him up feeding her last night and mating with her and she has laid an egg today ,Im thinking with all the ahh romance im prob going to have little canarys ...what should they be given ? any extras ?.They get canary/budgie seed ,endive,fresh grass and seed and vitimin water and corn twice a week.
Also she has built under the heat lamp iv been only using at night but now im a bit worried to turn it off..shes sitting on the nest most of the time so Perhaps shes cold
mattymeischke

They've got everything they need. They can breed on seed, water and chickweed.
Half-ripe seeds are best because of their higher protein content.
The heat lamp sounds luxurious, and unnecessary.
I have a bird who foolishly nested in the flight and has sat tight through the last two weeks of unseasonal cold, rain and wind.

Good luck.
Avid amateur aviculturalist; I keep mostly australian and foreign finches.
The art is long, the life so short; the critical moment is fleeting and experience can be misleading, crisis is difficult....... (Hippocrates)
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

They sound well provisioned to me. Probably part of the reason they clicked so quickly. Had a surprise yesterday, one of my not yet 3 month old chicks from first nest started singing along with dad. :o Haven't had one sing that early before, and I have had them off and on for many years.
LML
LML
djb78

All sounds good, the only thing I would add would be egg food or a half a boiled egg which is usually one of the basic rearing foods. Heat lamp isn't essential with canaries only when their sick as they are generally robust birds and have lived through cold winters with little cover. The hen will sit tight oj the nest for couple of weeks.
Danny
amalan11

ok thanks,im realy excited cant belive they were so quick! .They are so sweet to watch ,she is almost always there 2 eggs now .Tonight when I got home she was tucked on her nest and when I fed them he had a quick feed then flew up to her ,she started making this noise like a chick and he fed her so he is caring for her ..im totaly in love with theese canarys :lol:

Return to “Canaries”