unusual sighting

jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Awesome :thumbup:
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
mattymeischke

jusdeb wrote:There are rumors of a lot more Platypuss's ( Platypi ? ) sightings
Platypus is an English word ending in 's', so more than one platypus is some platypuses.
It is from Greek, and if I recall correctly -pus takes the fourth declension, so more than one platypus would be some platypera. Anyone using this word in English is clearly an insufferable wanker.
Because it is from Greek roots, it should not take the latin plural -i, so anyone using the word platypi is both an insufferable wanker and wrong.

I am fortunate to live in a platypus-rich part of the country.
They are easy to see if you have luck, patience and calm, and can be distinguished from the water rat by their low profile in the water, bow wave and their complete silence.
If you hear a splash, it is not a platypus.
They are surprisingly common.

The yellow-tailed black cockies were a bird we only ever saw down the coast when I was growing up here (20-30 years ago).
Since returning three years ago, I have seen them often, sometimes in reasonable numbers (40-50).
They love the mature radiatas, and sit for hours effortlessly destroying pine cones with their boltcutter beaks before throwing the remains at children below.

We have huge numbers of superbs here, too. They come in spring for the seed on the elms, and seem to breed here.
I saw two juveniles grazing chickweed with their parents recently. The young 'uns are almost invisible when they have their heads down, like crimson rosellas with the juvo greens still on.
I have only ever seen our superbs with one chick before.
Do they often raise multiple chicks?
Avid amateur aviculturalist; I keep mostly australian and foreign finches.
The art is long, the life so short; the critical moment is fleeting and experience can be misleading, crisis is difficult....... (Hippocrates)
woodstockaus

mattymeischke wrote: Platypus is an English word ending in 's', so more than one platypus is some platypuses.
It is from Greek, and if I recall correctly -pus takes the fourth declension, so more than one platypus would be some platypera. Anyone using this word in English is clearly an insufferable wanker.
Because it is from Greek roots, it should not take the latin plural -i, so anyone using the word platypi is both an insufferable wanker and wrong.
Thanks for a definitive answer on this one!
natamambo

woodstockaus wrote:
mattymeischke wrote: Platypus is an English word ending in 's', so more than one platypus is some platypuses.
Thanks for a definitive answer on this one!
You're the ex English teacher, you should'a know'ed this already :lol:.
mickw

Thanks Matty, that was tops :thumbup: I must stop in on my next trip to Canberra and see those Superbs.....maybe even grab a drink :shifty:

I saw heaps of platypuses in the MacIntyre River outside Inverell (Elsmore) during the 80's ....... I thought they ranged even further west but never really researched it much. See them sometimes around here, but used to see quite a few around Dorrigo when I was there during the 90's........they are a nice sight indeed!

Now, all this talk of unusual sightings is inspiring..........there's a coupla beasts rumoured to be about up here.
mattymeischke

I found some photos on my 'phone (forgot that I took them). I'll try to getter higher resolution versions when I get home.
Apart from their beautiful colours (how many greens can you fit on one bird?) I love how they become invisible with their heads down.

There are two juveniles in this photo, feasting on seeding chickweed:
baby superbs grazing.jpg
and one in this:
baby superb head down.JPG
who is more obvious when he lifts his head:
baby superb head up.JPG
That was all I got before they flew up into the Elms.
baby superbs in tree with Mum.jpg
Mick, you'll always be welcome for a drink. We might even feed you, too....
In summer it's superbs and redrumps, in winter it's the Gangajangs who come down from the mountains and hang out near our place. Redbrows, diamonds, flame robins and white-fronted chats... ...and that's before we get to the aviaries.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Avid amateur aviculturalist; I keep mostly australian and foreign finches.
The art is long, the life so short; the critical moment is fleeting and experience can be misleading, crisis is difficult....... (Hippocrates)

Return to “Anything else”