Snakes and blue tongues and bobtails??

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
venetta

So we've only been in our place for about 3 months now, and in that time we've found a bobtail (in the dogs mouth) and the weekend just gone a massive blue tongue..

I've heard many people say that if we have bobtails/blue tongues we wont get snakes??

Has anyone elses heard this??
I just hope it's true, cos I don't mind catching the bobbies and blue tongues!! :)

Here is the guy from the weekend
blue tongue.jpg
And we let him go back across the road near the river bushland!
blue tongue1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Venetta and Kylie
natamambo

Shinglebacks will eat snakes but generally only young'uns or eggs. Lizards keeping away snakes is known to be an urban myth these days though.
Pete Sara
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

well your lucky , so far I have only come up against a blind snake last summer digging the aviary footings, this year numerous bobbies, king skinks and a few racehorse goannas , one of which lives in our roof...your welcome to them if you want them.....pete
venetta

We're not as much in the sticks as you are pete :P
Venetta and Kylie
Pete Sara

you still have a fair bit of open space, i lived near the shops in huntingdale in kalee court a few years ago, we got dugites there a bit , the neighbour behind us who had birds a swell always got them in the cage . i never had than problem but we had snakes, tiger snakes closer to the river in thornlie to..the only thing i miss from the old house was the visits form the bandicoots......pete
GregH

Never heard about these skinks eating snakes - sure you didn't mis-hear snails? Have heared that if you have black-snakes you won't have brown snakes and over here if you have cobras you won't have any snakes. In fact the latin name for cobra, Ophiophagus, means snake eater. Don't mind me hijacking your post but I have a related story. The people moving into our house at IRRI after Christmas have asked the grounds maintenace staff to clear the garden because they heard we had snakes. So all my carefully cultivated oramental beds and seeding grasses will be turned to lawn and the shrubs removed so that my Swedish colleages can feel safe. The snakes will still be here but bare lawn rather than ornamental gardens seems poor compensation. Perhaps Aussies are more used to snakes or perhaps I'm too complacent?
Danny

That appears to be a King's Skink, not a blue tongue.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Oh good. My eyesight has not gone completely. I looked at it and thought that does not look like a blue tounge, but eyes being a bit of a problem lately and not knowing what else it could be left it to see if anyone else commented. :D Greg I think it's more of an individual thing re how you react to having lizards and snakes arround. We remove lizards from the yard, not cause we don't like them but cause the Jack Russell does. I am petrified of snakes. And despite my friendly snake man telling me I would have less trouble if I removed a lot of vegetation and sundry "stuff" the vegetation is not likely to go. It is Guinea grass and weeds for the birds. But once had to get hubby to run over and rescue a tough male tenant from the scary bobtail in the back yard. :silent:
LML
LML
venetta

Lol I don't claim to be no reptile queen! Haha. Blue tongue n bob tails are the only names I really know. Haha

Oh and bearded dragons and barking geckos cos I got them at work :P

Interesting to know what he really is lol.
Venetta and Kylie
maz

I used to get both tiger snakes and blue tongue lizards (in suburban Seaford cos we lived a couple of blocks from the creek)....you had to check for legs to make sure you didn't get nasty suprise, amazing how the pattern on the tail of a bluey can look like a tigersnake and visa versa :)

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”