Gouldian Breeding Behaviour

Includes Species Profile.
cookey

Just after some information from the more experienced breeders amongst you. I've got five Gouldians (2 cocks and 3 hens). At the moment they just sit around looking at each other and I am wondering whether they will ever get interested in breeding. Also wandering what type of behaviour traits they demonstrate if they do get interested (apart from the obvious of course!) :?:
"If your surrounded by yes men, one of you has to go".
Colin Powell
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

usually dont start till around January..make sure you have more nest boxes then pairs...cocks beak goes bright red on tip...hens beak goes almost black...I found if I left boxes out then put the boxes in in january with some grass in them the cock birds started checking them out straight away and not long after that it was all happening... :thumbup:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
cookey

Thanks for that. Maybe I'll take some nesting boxes out and re-introduce in about a months time. :thumbup:
Colin Powell
Diane

As well as the cock singing he bounces up and down on a branch next to the hen of his choice, at times there is quite a bit of lowered head shaking going on too. The tail is generally angled towards the intended mate.
The hens respond with what I call a "listening pose" generally stretched out facing the cock bird. If she is interested she may do some head shaking too and you will see her tail angled towards the cock bird.
I cant say Ive ever see a pair actually mate, from my reading they do that in the nest box, but I guess there might be a pair of exhibitionist's somewhere!
At the moment I have an aviary full of cock birds that are practising their skills in this area and all are willing do the dancing, head shaking and listening poses to each other.
Another aviary with hens in don't seem to display to each other.
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits
desertbirds

I posted a gouldian courtship display video some time ago , if you type in Gouldian courtship display in the search area you might find it, hopefully BB might post a link as i dont know how lol
Diane

Link to desertbirds gouldians courtship display
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASfqacOQbIY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits
cookey

Thanks for that. Definitely not displaying that behaviour!
Colin Powell
Tiaris

Give them 2 months break & they will be different birds.

Return to “Gouldian”