hoi

Pop in and say G'day!
Once you have 1 approved post a lot more forum will become visible.
GregH

I'm with Matt & Will on the mutation issue but it's a difficult call with the amount of inbreeding increasing the proportion of homozygous recessive genes in the captive population and I think it actually predisposes them to throw novel mutations. The fact that people pay so much more novel forms means that the "purists" have to be dedicated - you wouldn't breed pure zebs for the money. Her in the Philippines no one breeds the native munias because they are so cheap (<$3ea) and their parrot finches are just unavailable because they were exported almost to extinctions (the Strawberry finch actually was). I'm trying to dimesticate but geez its hard to settle wild caught Java sparrows, javan munias, chestnut minias and spice finches but I need yet another aviary right away from everything to give it a propper go. Of course one day they will appreciate my efforts when there's nothing left or they actually obey thier own laws
Mattyboy

Look what's happened with budgies. The captive population is a putrid mess of mixed-up mutations, freakish shapes and sizes and many birds now have limited lifespans because they are so intensively inbred and genetically distorted.
Interesting that in recent years the "bush budgie" has become a somewhat fashionable "boutique" bird, people really appreciate its natural beauty and colours and dainty size.
Just think... someone had to go catch some budgies from the wild because the domesticated birds now are such a mess, to get anything like the wild bird they had to literally start from scratch.
There will be no such luxury with the gouldian.
There really should be a movement where people who want to save the wild type gouldian can access a register of pure wild-type birds (what few there are left) so they can exchange stock and preserve the bloodlines.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I agree that the "wild" gouldian colour is far more beautiful than many of the new mutations. But that won't stop me breeding a few of the colours that appeal to me. But it will keep me breeding the originals. :D
As long as there are a few breeders who believe the main purpose of keeping and breeding birds of all types is first and formost to see that they never cease to exist. As we Aussies say "She'll be right"
LML
LML
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Gotta admit I like the natural colour of birds over mutations but I am guilty of having Lutino and Cinnamon Quarrions .
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
Mattyboy

I'm not really an anti-mutation Nazi. I really like some of them. How can you look at a lutino Indian ringneck and not think it's absolutely gorgeous. Mind you that's a very common species all over the world.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”