baby quarrion with problems

jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

OK . The little whiteface quarrion baby that fledged and struggled to fly is inside being hand fed and monitored now .
She has a droopy wing and a foot that turns under a bit ,her long toe was overlapping the smaller front toe at first but seems to have unfolded since Ive been getting her to perch on my finger ... she walks ( with a limp ) and eats and interacts with the others in the weaning cage .

So now my question ...can a bird have a stroke ???

Seriously this little bird reminds me of my old Nana after she had her first stroke only thing is the eye isnt droopy and yes both disablities occur on the same side .

I cant see an avian vet until next week , the little one doesnt seem in pain .

Will making her perch hurt her ? Can I do anything to help the wing ?

Could this also be a calcium /D3 issue ? It is the last of the clutch to fledge and the mother was bought not long before she went to nest so I dont know what the old owner was supplementing her with calcium wise .

Please dont tell me to put her down , if she was in pain I would
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
mattymeischke

I'm sure they could have strokes, but I've no idea if it is common or not.
It is also possible to get brain damage from a head injury, of course.

Having a stroke when young is a much better prospect than having a stroke when old.
The regenerative capacity of young creatures is mindblowing.

I had a patient once (a human one) who was in hospital after a car accident, who happened to develop a severe headache while she was convalescing.
In the course of investigating her headache, we scanned her brain and found that an entire cerebral hemisphere was missing.
When we told her, she said that she had had a stroke when she was 2 years old, and had been expected to succumb.
She had never had any intimation that she was running on half a brain; she was active and otherwise well, ran a shop, played sports when she was younger....

So if your quarrion has had a stroke, having made it past the event it may have a reasonable chance of recovering substantially.
Avid amateur aviculturalist; I keep mostly australian and foreign finches.
The art is long, the life so short; the critical moment is fleeting and experience can be misleading, crisis is difficult....... (Hippocrates)

Return to “Parrots”