Hens or cocks?

Includes Species Profile
Pete Sara
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

vettepilot I never trust the the black or red near the eyes 100%, I have had afew that one side would be male and the other side shows female. like the monomorphics ( big word for me today) I always go on a few methods, if they add up the results will be a nice clutch of babies if not back to the drawing board.

but this time of year should not be a problem to vent sex if they are mature ( old enough to breed) , young ones a bit of a problem , the pied should be mature enough ...pete
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

poitta wrote:vettepilot I never trust the the black or red near the eyes 100%, I have had afew that one side would be male and the other side shows female. like the monomorphics ( big word for me today) I always go on a few methods, if they add up the results will be a nice clutch of babies if not back to the drawing board.

but this time of year should not be a problem to vent sex if they are mature ( old enough to breed) , young ones a bit of a problem , the pied should be mature enough ...pete
Tend to agree Poitta but I like to see them in the flesh as well because I use their 2 middle tail feathers too...males are slightly more pointed....plus like it has been said before red feathers around vent and this time of year vent checks...hen squeals cock singing etc... :thumbup:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
Greg41

I followed Mackstaa's reasoning and have got 5 in the aviary, one pr have built a nest but still have to work out which two it is. I want to finish up with just the one pair.

Cheers Greg.
GDG
flap

Greg, could you ring each one in a different colour and then see which two go in and out of the nest? of course that still might not tell you who is the male and who is the female...
flaP
Greg41

Done that, they all have a different colour ring, still hard to see who is doing what.
Cheers Greg.
GDG
flap

Ok, we just managed to vent sex the normal, we think it is a cock bird. They started to get a bit stressed so will wait to sex vent the pied another time. Can't wait to find out...

Greg, shame. I guess being so active doesn't help as they don't sit still for 2 seconds!
flaP
flap

OK, it looks like what we have are two cock birds. The pied one was trilling visibly just then... So the search continues for a partner... Anyone got a hen or a pair of pieds they want to sell???
:roll:
flaP
mackstaa

Doh!
Just sold my nice pied hen. Good luck flap
Mackstaa

Return to “Red Faced Parrot Finch”