surprise budgie

amalan11

I got an interesting surprise today,Iv known for a couple of weeks the budgies had babies,thought there were 2, one little blue fellow who bungie jumps out of the box from the time he was only sprouting 2 feathers and another that looked yellow faced like mum.The mum is blue and yellow and dad is a blue lacewing .As mum is overly protective I left them to it but today finaly peeked ..there is also a little washed out yellow one with red eyes! :wtf:
Im thinking it must be whats called a lutino looking on google but im wondering whats its vision like? it seems sensitive to light as as iv never seen it stick its head out im worried light may hurt it.
Other than that , the state of that nest ..I had to clean the feet of both of them due to poop balls all over their toes little blue fellow keeps his feet clean hopping out each day I guess but im going to have to fix that nest box so I can get in and keep it clean if they breed again
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What a nice surprise , baby budgies are just gawjus .
Good idea to plan nestboxes around cleaning them , I have a routine now that is quick and doesnt upset the birds too much .

I go in with a container to put the babies into , a bucket and scoop to empty the dirty litter and a bucket of clean nest material ...quick change of nesting stuff and pop the babies back in , too easy .

Only thing to watch for is not to over fill as the parents may try to throw excess away and sometimes a baby gets caught up in the stuff being thrown out .
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
bruffy

hi
sounds like you bought the nest box from the pet shop they're always to small and not built to clean properly
you need a deeper box- removable bottom (piece of chip board with the hollow in it-drag it out to clean) also an inspection slide (the ply or thin mdf slide )that is in two sections- you then pull up the top to inspect ,beacause then the bottom bit of the slide will prevent the babies from falling out when you open it.
don'y worry about the lutino's eyes there fine with the light it's only the birds age/ personality preventing it from looking out at the moment.
the height of the nest hole is a bit too low, that's why the othe rbird is able to get out.
good luck- can you post some pics?
bruffy
amalan11

I will try and photograph them when I next clean it out.funny enough now its cleaned little blue boy is staying in there so far
Thats a relef if the eyes will be ok with light.
I will look into another nest box it would be a better solution the type you sugest sounds good,the one they have is just a standard pet shop one that I had wired to roof it had no nesting material in at all ,I will watch this pair much more closely now I know they can breed ,strangely enough I just didnt think they were old enough or would be interested

Return to “Parrots”