white headed nuns.

Includes Species Profile
Pete Sara
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Do white headed nuns prefer to be left in seclusion, as in a smaller aviary of 5m long and 1.2 wide or will they be better of in a larger aviary 4 times that size with other birds, both aviarys are planted out with lots of seeding grasses for that purpose.. thanks pete
Luís Lourenço

Hi Pete,

If you have only one pair, the bigger aviary with other birds should be better for them. If you have 2 or more pairs it will be better for them the smaller aviary.
Good luck with them, they are very nice birds.
Luís Lourenço

http://lourencoaves.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Matt

I always find it disappointing to see so little interest in the nun family. They are great birds to keep. I don't keep the white headed currently but I assume they are very similar to the others. To obtain the best possible breeding results, a single pair in with a couple of other compatible pairs is the way to go. If you're unsure of sexing and not prepared to have them dna'd then the colony situation is also fine but you may find in a colony of five pairs, you may only get youngsters from 2 or 3 pair. Although pair bonding is strong in this species is strong, I have noticed a lot of polygamy in my colony. In particular, I have one dominant male that has produced around three quarters of the offspring with three separate hens.

Good luck with them Pete
Pete Sara

Thanks for the info , I only bought them as you dont see many of them around, got plans to get more when I can find some , just going local for now, then will get them Dna tested at the same time...pete
tonytoast

Know a guy in Brisbane who has them in a colony and they breed like flies.

I have a single pair in a well planted aviary with many other species and they have young in the nest, due out in the next couple of days.

Good food, plenty of space and I'm sure they'll be fine whichever way you choose to house them.
Finchman1

I have a pair on eggs at the moment ,fingers crossed...

Return to “White Headed Nun”