Pale Form of Diggles Finch

Parsons and Diggles
Includes Species Profiles
Fincho162

Fireback - interesting about the smaller ones as my offsider described the striking Diggles/Parsons he saw as very small............around Double Bar size and with the black bib extending nearly across the entire front.................he never let on the "where" but said they were in an isolated pocket and that he'd never seen them anywhere else and as a stockperosn up there he'd certainly been about the tracks.............maybe we all need to apply for funding for an extended field trip into the taxonomic identities of the Parson finch - multiple personalities or just all in the family??????!!!!

Am packing my bags for somewhere "warm" at last!!!!!...............sigh.............
E Orix

These days you are lucky to find a pair that breeds true.
The disregard by many by putting white rump with a black rump has really denigrated these two races.
Also gone as far as I am aware the really dark(nut brown) Chocolate Parson (negri from memory)
There are some reasonably dark and attractive but still away from those originals available in the 60's
Its great that some are serious about getting them back true to specie.
Fincho162

Don't lose heart completely as I've been sent some pics of some very fine Chockies from a far northern aviary which I'm hoping to grab a few pairs of.

Last good Chockies I'd seen in the feathers were at Garswoods Aviaries - Glen Johnsons shop.............bred dozens from the ones I got from him..........many moons ago now though!!!

But yes, the frustrating habit of mixing the 2 types/races/what-ever-u-wanna-call-thems is far too widespread..........have even seen it surface in a mates pure Diggles when he outcrossed for new blood......new birds were fine looking but threw ones with 50/50 tails in the F1!!!..............very frustrating as u say!!!
Danny

Fincho162 wrote:Am packing my bags for somewhere "warm" at last!!!!!...............sigh.............
You are always welcome up here - we are currently trying to coordinate a Cape York fish collecting trip through one of our clubs - they can collect fish - I'm going birding and herping.
Fireback

I have seen lots of variations in bird life right throughout the Cape york region. There are creeks, wetlands and billabongs where no man has been before. You could try to search one property in the Cape called Strathburn station. Aprox 608,000 acres, or 50 km by 50 km, there are white eared masks, stars etc. This is an active cattle property and there's areas that have not been explored because of its size. This property is only a spec on the map, so there's a lot of country up here so could not believe a handful of researchers from the city have covered much of this country. Cheers

Return to “Black Throated”