Double Bar Nesting Behaviour

White Rumped and Black Rumped.
Includes Species Profiles.
cookey

Hi all. I thought I would share my observations of the breeding and nesting behaviour of my DB's in the interests of getting all information out there so that others may benefit. I have noticed that whilst there is information available through many sources, there has still been observations that I have made, which I have not found on any websites or links through AFF. Apologies to the more experienced breeders...this is meant for those who are seeking information about specific behaviour, as I have over the last couple of months.

Firstly; I thought I'd describe my aviary as this may have some bearing on the behaviour of my DB's. My aviary consists of a main area (3 X 3 metres, mostly roofed) and then a long 12 metre by two metres extension. About half way down this flight, I have roofed a three metre area including a sheet of metal decking on the side. I've placed a number of branches of tea tree between wicker nesting baskets at that spot.

The initial stages of nesting and laying eggs was very subtle and I only glimpsed the hen moving in and out of a wicker nesting basket occasionally, usually with the cock bird nearby (nesting basket located about half way down flight as described above). I though the hen may have been building a nest but as I did not see her at or in the nest very often, I wasn't sure. The two spent most of their time at the end of the aviary where it is very sunny so I didn't think they were overly serious about nesting.

This went on for about three weeks and I didn't for one minute think that the hen had laid eggs until one day when I was in the backyard doing some work (painting) when I noticed the sound of baby birds. At first I thought it may have been the silvereyes or superb fairy wrens but noticed the noise was coming from the aviary. Every time I looked over, the DB pair were in their usual spot at the end of the aviary sunning themselves.

Curious, I sat very quietly for awhile to try to see where the noise was coming from. After about 10 minutes, the DB's came out of their sunning spot and the hen entered the nest where she was met by a hail of baby cries. very exciting for me as these are the first finches I've ever bred! :D

Anyway, of interest, was the behaviour of the two around the nest and this has taken about a week of sitting quietly and watching to be able to put into wordsr. Firstly, they do not spend a lot of time in the nest but rather, fly back periodically. The male will stop at a spot on a branch about 60 centimetres below the nest and assess whether things are 'safe'. He then calls out to the hen and she will go through a routine where she lands on a branch; stops and then flies to a branch on the other side of the nest, where she stops again before flying up to a branch next to the nest. She stops here as if performing a last safety check before entering the nest. Upon entering the nest she is met by the usual hail of babies cries (I assume she is feeding). She never stays in the nest for very long before flying back to her sunning spot or to the feeding station.

During this period, the cock appears to be the lookout. I believe he is the lookout because any other DB that flies past, he engages in a pursuit around the aviary. He seems to pursue until he is satisfied that there is no threat and then returns to his 'guard' post. I have not seen the hen leave the nest whilst this is occurring apart from one occasion where his pursuit ended in the sunning spot and he called for the hen (she came out of the nest and flew to him).

I have been surprised by the new arrivals and I will post photo's when they come out of the nest but I must say, I never thought for a moment that the DB's had laid eggs due to the periodic nature of the nest visits. I have noticed that the hen does go into the nest at nights and is accompanied by the cock birds most of the time - the other times he perches on a branch immediately outside the nest. To be honest, I don't even understand how the hen and the cock incubated the eggs as they always seemed to be in the 'sunning' spot.

Anyway, they have been my observations and very excited about the new arrivals. Interesting little birds to say the least! :clap:
"If your surrounded by yes men, one of you has to go".
Colin Powell
grasswren

First off congratulations as DB can be difficult to breed The aviary sounds like it is ideal for finches you didnt mention if you had other birds in with them and is it a planted aviary . My DB are in a aviary that is 10m long 4m wide and 2.3 m high and is fully planted out with 2 old orange trees, grasses dendrobian orchids, and 2large salt bushes so any observations are nigh on impossible. 1/3rd is covered and 1/2 has shade cloth on top They are in with chats, 3pairs turquisine parrots,stars, gouldians, turquoise wrens and brown quail all of whom have bred well this year. Once again congratulations
cookey

Thanks grasswren. It is a planted aviary but only about a quarter of the aviary is planted. Ferns and a privett.

The aviary is mixed and includes Painted Firetails, Gouldians, Stars, Red Cheeked Cordons, Ruddies and two budgies - although the budgies may have to go as they tend to scare the others with their screeching from time to time.

Looking forward to the DB's coming out of the nest and will post photo's then.

Cheers
Colin Powell
cookey

I have to report that - with a great deal of egg on my face - there were no baby DB's. I cannot work it out as the behaviour described above continues in ernest and I swear that everytime the hen enters the nest, she is met by a hail of babies cries. My neighbour who is currently building an aviary for finches came over and he swears that the nest has babies in it based on the same observations.

I confirmed the other day by looking in the nest and finding no eggs. Anyway, very embarrassing. :oops: Live and learn. :roll:
Colin Powell
natamambo

Cookey, I have had a pair of painteds do the baby thing twice this season with nary an egg to be seen. Don't despair, you're not alone in hoping against hope sometimes :? .
DBdevotee

Hi loving to read all the inside info on Double Bars. We are lucky to have in garden and now find out that fledged babies have survived the risk of rat attack and though flying just fine, they like to return to the old nest sometime into the later part of the day. Had not realised that newbies like to do this snuggling back in together it seems. Can anyone tell me in early autumn as I write is it likely the parents may further breed and would they use the original nest or rebuild in some other part of the garden?? Thank You
BrettB

Double Bars tend to be opportunistic breeders and will continue breeding while the conditions suit them.
Usually they will build a new nest for each clutch
Unlike the "phantom" chicks mentioned above, I find they make very little noise in the nest

Cheers
Brett
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are ." Anais Nin

Return to “Double Bar”