From the Incubator

Buzzard-1

Just some pics of what I am hatching this year, Large Black Australorp chooks, Golden and Ringneck Pheasant and Guinnie Fowl :D
Day Olds.JPG
Week Olds.JPG
2 Week Olds.JPG
Full Pied (2).JPG
Penguin Pied.JPG
Penguin Pied 2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

so cute :clap: :clap: striped ones in the first pic look like king quail young except for the size...
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
SamDavis

Delicious!
I was thinking of getting some guinea fowl. Supposed to be good snake alarms, but according to a neighbour they're really noisy and wander a fair way from home.
Is there any truth in any of this?
And in the photos I presume the little pied chicks are the guineas?
Sam
Buzzard-1

SamDavis wrote:Delicious!
I was thinking of getting some guinea fowl. Supposed to be good snake alarms, but according to a neighbour they're really noisy and wander a fair way from home.
Is there any truth in any of this?
And in the photos I presume the little pied chicks are the guineas?
Sam
The answer to both questions is Yes they are noisy and yes they are Guinnies.
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Very nice ...do they have to be incubated ? I mean are the parents not real good at raising them .

Thanks for sharing , the Guinees are quite cute .
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
Buzzard-1

I let some set and the remainder go in the incubator, Have another 2 cages down the back with parent raised in them. ( Deb I know there not finch :shh: but did you notice the straight beaks :lol: )
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

:lol: yes Buzz :clap: good one smarty :lol:
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
Mortisha

Love Australorps - my all time favourite chooks.
Have an old hen in my flock we call the Zen Hen. She loves to hop onto and sit on your lap for no reason -nice when you are having a cup of tea on a frosty morning :).
arthur

We have 2 feral Guinea-fowl who have adopted our couple of acres

Started as a flock of 5 that just 'dropped in' . . . Reduced to 2 as a direct result of an almost complete lack of understanding of the highway-code (they lack any semblance of road sense). The 2 survivors must have been the 'brains trust' as they have been here for 2 or 3 years. I think that they are both hens as there has been no breeding during their stay

They do wander, probably within 0.5 km radius, but always return to roost in a tall gum tree, and always on the same perch, and always taking the same path up to get to that perch

They seldom fly (apart from roosting), but will do so to escape dogs

We discard aviary scraps daily at the same spot, and these are shared by the GF, Magpies, Bluefaced Honeyeaters, and the occasional Rainbow Lorikeet, but otherwise don't encourage the 'chooks'

I think that their snake repelling powers are a popular misconception, as our area is home to a large snake population of a number of types, and sightings have not decreased during the GF's period of residence. I have no doubt however that they would be able to deal with a reasonably large snake as I have seen domestic hens kill smallish snakes from time to time

We don't find them noisy, but they will kick up a bit of a ruckus if the pup decides to wander in their direction

And just for the mutation lovers out there, one is a 'pied' with large areas of white

Return to “Anything else”