Quail lighter than silver - pics added

Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

don't foget there is a white mutation where both sexes look exactly the same that pops up in Australia every now and then ;)
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
E Orix

It is quite sometime since I bred Quail but from memory I agree with Danny
The white winged chicks eventually just colour up like Silvers. I hope for your sake they are whites though.
flap

Thanks for the feedback. Will wait and see what they look like once fully coloured. But it isn't just the wings, their body is fully feathered except the head. So do they moult before the get their full adult plumage? only had two clutches, both marred by trauma so didn't pay attention to when/how they attained full adult colouring.
flaP
thehammer

Last year I bred 2 whites from a silver pair like flap, however as Danny said in his post they didn't stay white and basically resemble a normal silver now - if you look very closely they are a little lighter than the parents. It is not easy to see the difference.

Did your quail stay white Flap?

PS. I did notice that they seemed to be weaker than other chicks
flap

No, they didn't stay white, they ended up turning into what Finchbreeder described as "mushroom" colour. Lighter than cinnamon, darker than silver, with tinges of brown/pink. FB if you see this maybe you can comment on the colour better than I can.
flaP
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Mother and I swapped Flap cinnamons for these 2 girls. They look pretty much like normal silvers now. But are both paired to silver cocks (one at each of our places) and have laid and sat/sitting. Unfortunately due to choosing to nest in this horrible hot weather it looks like the eggs have all cooked. Progress report when something small and fluffy happens.
LML
LML

Return to “Poultry & Game Birds”