Lesser Red-browed Finch (Sydney)

Normal and lesser Red Browed.
Includes Species Profile.
Netsurfer

Has anyone had any experience with the Lesser Red-browed Finch? Are they difficult to breed/keep? Why aren't they as readily available as the larger subspecies?
desertbirds

There are quite a few people keeping them and there were some advertised recently on the forum. I think the nominate race may have been topped up over the years by the trapping of wild birds. All subspecies are held in relatively low numbers and can be difficult to breed. I think getting compatible pairs is the key. Some people seem to have good success and others are finding them a bit of a challenge.Try looking on the search engine as there has previously been a bit written on Lessers. :thumbup:
Netsurfer

desertbirds wrote:There are quite a few people keeping them and there were some advertised recently on the forum. I think the nominate race may have been topped up over the years by the trapping of wild birds. All subspecies are held in relatively low numbers and can be difficult to breed. I think getting compatible pairs is the key. Some people seem to have good success and others are finding them a bit of a challenge.Try looking on the search engine as there has previously been a bit written on Lessers. :thumbup:
Thanks desertbirds, will try! :thumbup:
GP Finches

Just got back into finches in the last 5 months. I purchased 3 pairs on Lessers from a reputable breeder. After 4 months of purchase I have breed my first Lessers. A second brood are on the way. A wonderful finch full of character and colour. For me they were the first birds I bred! I am still learning about them however.

I highly recommend them. They seem quite hardy.
iaos

Congrats on the young one's GP.

Are are you birds set up? As a colony? how big is the aviary? is it planted? are they nesting in live brush or dry brush? what are you feeding? live food?

Sorry for all the questions, just curious!!! :thumbup:
Cheers
GP Finches

No problem with the questions.

The birds are housed as single pairs, with Painteds and Yellow Rumps. These avairies are 1.2 x 2.4 (enclosed) with a 1.5m suspended flight (4.1m all up). The enclosed area is made from cool room panels. The birds nest high up. Dried brush is used. One pair are housed with Yellow rumps, Cordons, Painteds, and Pied Ruddies in bigger avairy (1.8 x 2.4) with a similar suspended flight. This pair built high up in a wire basket that was full of brush. The nest is purched on top of this up against the ceiling.

As I mentioned I am still studying their habits and compatibility. I would suggest that they do not like species that would compete with them for nesting sites. Painteds are a great choice.

The colour of the birds is quite extraordinary. The fledglings are well developed. They are great parents. Due to their low numbers in captivity they are a bit pricey. This will gradually change in time.
iaos

Thanks GP. Your set up sounds great.
Cheers
Ian

Return to “Red Browed”