Zebs vs magpies

Includes Species Profile.
elferoz777

Just a question..

Will butcher birds and magpies kill my zebs if they are kept in a large cage outdoors?

When I was moving out of my old home a few years back I had goldfinches, canaries and zebra finches in cages outdoors undercover but otherwise exposed.

I found three goldfinches decapitated within three days and my Dad said he saw the magpies and butcher birds hovering around.

My zebras never got touched though.

Any advice??? If they are at risk what can I do to remove the risk of magpie attack? i already have plenty to green cover inside the cage.

Thanks

El Feroz
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
Pete Sara
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

what are the dimensions of the cage , never kept goldfinches , so I dont know how flighty they can be around preditors. Butche birdsr will kill and spear birds through the aviary mesh.....pete
MadOzzie

Butcher birds will work as a team, one on each side of the cage, so when a bird lands on one side trying to escape the other one grabs them.

I would not put birds in an outside small cage without having it double wired with at least an inch (25mm) between the two lots of wire.

MadOzzie.

Return to “Zebra”