Long billed correlas

jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Its true and how we come to have Rainbow Lorikeets ..First year we saw a pair getting about , second year 5 or 6 this year easily a dozen and all nesting in a huge palm tree centre of town .
Another noisy bird so Ill bet someone has released the original pair and the rest are their offspring .

We have a Corella and although not overly noisy she does have her moments where you wish a gust of wing would catch her and take her to the next town. :wtf:
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
Nathan Morleyy

Deb dont you have a little corrella?.

Regards Nathan
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yes we have a little corella .
David Brent
Nrg800

jusdeb wrote:Its true and how we come to have Rainbow Lorikeets
I saw a heap of Rainbow Lorikeets at Dubbo this afternoon, and I thought, what?!
Latest Lifer: Black-headed Gull (HaLong Bay. #528)
Australia List: 324 (White-throated Nightjar)
Global Year List: 119 (Powerful Owl)
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Beautiful little birds hey NRG but def not what you would expect to see here.
David Brent
mattymeischke

For what it's worth, I met a bloke in Wagga last week who reckoned that the large free-flight aviary at the botanical gardens in Wagga was damaged in a storm some years ago, and that some Rainbow Lorikeets escaped at that time.
Since then, he has had them in his garden in increasing numbers, having never before seen them in Wagga.
Avid amateur aviculturalist; I keep mostly australian and foreign finches.
The art is long, the life so short; the critical moment is fleeting and experience can be misleading, crisis is difficult....... (Hippocrates)
wagga

I used to live near the Wagga botanical gardens, free flight aviary location, and yes now we have a feral population of rainbows, the odd scalie, doves, unfortunately most of the birds died or disappeared after the storm.
Life in Port Macquarie is the ultimate Aussie sea change lifestyle.
mattymeischke

I had understood that the Rainbows stuck to the coast because they relied on year-round nectar supplies.

Perhaps the well-tended gardens of Wagga and Dubbo are able to fill that need sufficiently to maintain a feral population? Or perhaps they are being fed by locals.
Avid amateur aviculturalist; I keep mostly australian and foreign finches.
The art is long, the life so short; the critical moment is fleeting and experience can be misleading, crisis is difficult....... (Hippocrates)
TheFinchMan101

My school which is only a few kms away from the wagga botanical gardens always gets rainbows, you always see them up on the oval digging away at the lush green grass, once scared they head off to a little forest reserve just to the left of the school. I'm not sure if there wild or ferel populations because ive always seen them there. We also get hundreds of grass parrots up here as well. I think also a reason they come here is because the wagga golf course is right behind the school as well as the lake, I'm not sure...... But as I can see they are thriving.
MadOzzie

TheFinchMan101 wrote:My school which is only a few kms away from the wagga botanical gardens always gets rainbows, you always see them up on the oval digging away at the lush green grass, once scared they head off to a little forest reserve just to the left of the school.
In all the thousands of rainbows I have seen, in Brisbane, Ipswich and for the last 12 years on the Gold Coast I have never seen them on grass. They are always in trees and occasionally will land on a fence or other structure,bowl, etc to feed.

MadOzzie

Return to “Parrots”