Scarlet mutations

elferoz777

Nice birds mate!

If you plan on selling any of the young produced let me know when and where!
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
branchez

elferoz777 wrote:Nice birds mate!

If you plan on selling any of the young produced let me know when and where!
Will do.
finches247
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Nice Splendids :thumbup: :clap:
firetail555

Tiaris wrote:Hard enough in this country with many species Case. e.g. I imagine it would be very difficult to find pure normal Peach-faced Lovebirds now. Compare that to 20-30 years ago. Numerous other similar examples in Oz.

Don't worry about the colour mutation guys, worry about the hybrids first. Stop that and then worry about colour mutations, at least you can breed a colour back out of them, nit so with hybrids. If it was not for the colour mutations, the hobby would lose the interest of a lot of people.

David
Tiaris

I'm not worried by the colour mutation guys at all really. I am one myself with some species. The best mutation breeders at least understand the genetics at play and know the genotype of their birds. I see it as a problem which we all share whatever our views of mutations. There is little point being concerned about lack of "pure" stock or voicing that concern without giving breeding aviary space to pairs of species which we see as vulnerable to this effect before the problem arises. We all need to put our breeding aviaries where our mouths are to keep the normal genotypes of such vulnerable species well established whenever we can.
In all honesty, I don't know of many well established finch species to ever be heavily tarnished by hybrid genes. A few when they get dangerously low in numbers already but that's about it. I'm certainly not advocating hybridisation (far from it), just trying to keep the issues in perspective.
Pete Sara
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Great looking birds , partial to the white fronted blues myself after having them for so many years I have gone back to the original for a while . I sit with tiaris on the matter, guilty of keeping a few mutations myself but keeping a pure line of anything is a challenge no matter what the species... pete
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I have a small colony of normals of which a bub was born with a red front > mutation a la naturale . It happens and its been a joy watching her grow into a gawjus red front scarlet .
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
garymc

Pardon my ignorance - I'm a newcomer with these. Is the full red-fronted scarlet a mutation or a colour-enhancement (i.e for example the full-red fronted painted firetails)?
Tiaris

Natural variation as per RF Painted Gary. Cheers.

Return to “Parrots”