DIY Seeding Grass & Greens

For all your questions about diet and food for your finches
Craig52

finchbreeder wrote:Craig, your dog bears a striking resemblance to mine (triclolour). But mine is kind of gray round the muzzle due to her approching 15th Birthday. Is yours pure Jack Russell? Re the grass great ideas from both of you. Mine also grows semi feral like Craigs, but under a Big Cape Lilac tree, with retic due to our dry (usually) climate.
LML
No i don't think he is pure Jack Russell FB and he is only 8yo,non aggressive but a great barker at intruders.We love him to bits and his name is Jack for obvious reasons.
Davo,that looks great and it's a credit to you but a bit over the top for me.I find my birds enjoy and prefer the seed heads grown in the ground more so than the ones in the pots in my pics even though the pots are fertilized,there must so much more natural nutrients that plants get in natural soil and imo the birds know it by their selection. Cheers Craig
shayne

Davo2,
I was hoping to do similar to you however, a much smaller scale.
I bought Japanese millet and oats.
They sprouted straight away and took off.
Then they all started dying off. There are now empty pots.
It is the start of the wet season and did get some heavy rainfall.
Too wet, hard rain, not enough sun???
Any hints for those of us without such a green thumb
Cheers
Davo2

First time for me growing in pots, all my fruit and veg are in raised beds and fruit trees are in Mother Earth so a lot more forgiving. It is going to be trial and error but I think the main issue is going to be keeping nutrients in the pots. I have 5000L water tank that I use for the garden only in which I regularly place liquid fertiliser and some slow release furtilise in the pots and cross my finger at this stage.
Bisaloyce

Just wondering how the grass & greens are progressing? Do you have any recent photos?
Davo2

I grew them until seed head were starting to form then planted them in aviarys for birds to feed off. So far so good and will be starting next lot shortly to replace the old ones once they have done their thing.
Pseudonym

Good ideas. Cheers
fastjools

A topic I am very interested in - is it too cold in Sydney to start growing millet seeds now? Help... Cheers J
fastjools

PPS some very impressive grasses now if I can only get mine to sprout...
werty

fastjools wrote:PPS some very impressive grasses now if I can only get mine to sprout...
try avigrain red finch mix, sprouts every time
Tiaris

fastjools wrote:A topic I am very interested in - is it too cold in Sydney to start growing millet seeds now? Help... Cheers J
Spring & summer is the time to grow millets. If you have a warm site, red pannicum will sometimes grow ok through winter, but the others - no way.

Return to “Diet & Food”