Sea Green Gouldians

Includes Species Profile.
AMCA26

finchbreeder, he was the only one. Have just been told he is a SF Euro Yellow. So the father is a DF Euro Yellow which the Hen was Normal and they produce all Euro Yellows. Could be a JACKPOT. Not sure on what is around of these here. If anything changes i will post.
Breeding Show Zebra Finches, Blue Gouldians, Pied Orange Breast.
Diane

Well at least you have his name now.....Jackpot!
It might be worth contacting the breeder again and seeing if he/she has any hens available from similar lines
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits
Bgould

The sea green gouldians I have seen are brilliant aqua blue on their back and the hens are very similar to blue gened hens. Very light cream/yellow belly with aqua green backs. Sea green are par blue as a blue gened bird cannot show yellow and have white/cream bellies. If you have access to Guide to gouldian finches ABK publications you will see photos of what I mean. The photo of the hen is not so good but they are a pretty bird. Test breeding these birds to blue gened birds was carried out by the Lowes which they refer to a sporties.(parblue) The photo of your bird looks more like a s/f european yellowback to me than seagreen.
AMCA26

Bgould, thats what i was told. And a few posts up i mentioned i know he came from a dirty yellow cock which must be the DF and he hen was a normal green. Also have a dirty yellow hen which paired up to a DF Yellowback and produced 2 yellow hens but dont know if they are Yellow or the Euro Yellow? Will have to take some photos and get them posted as well.
Diane

Bgould wrote:and the hens are very similar to blue gened hens.
Are you saying you can see when a hen is split blue? Are you able to describe or better still pics?
Diane
Bgould

No you can't tell when a bird is split for blue. There are no visible markings that I am aware of. The seagreen hens that I have seen in person are very similar to a Blue hen in appearance possibly with more soft lemon to cream colouring on belly. Unfortunatly I did not take any photos when I visited this breeder thats why If you have a copy of the ABK revised edition of Gouldian finches and mutations their are photos on page 84 showing what I mean. But the photos in this book isn't a clear photo. They are much better in real life.
Diane

Damm, I thought you might be on to something that enables a visual clue to split blue birds.
Now, where did I put that ultra violet light? ;)
Diane
gomer

I have a hen which has a cream belly with a flick of lemon or yellow at the top.her back is a greenish blue.She came from a blue cock and a split to blue hen.Well that is what I was told the parents are.She was the only survivor from her clutch.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
AMCA26

Thats different gomer, and i am still thinking about it while writing this. Trying to picture it. Cream on the belly you would say a Blue Back and not Green Back.
Cando

I have had this hen pop up and a male also. They are 3 months old, clutch od 4. Two chicks look normal green back and 2 are developing seagreen? Especially the hen.
Parents are cock- BH LB GB and Hen- BH PB GB the cock may be /blue
pictures on this link.. I still haven't figured out how to post pics directly here :/ Any iimput about this mutaion please enlighten me. Seems here in the states not much feedback.
http://finchforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12988" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Gouldian”