Gouldians

Includes Species Profile.
mackstaa

Actually Tino and Coloureds birds are very well priced. They dont take advantage of the minority of some of the mutations held within Australia and Tony is humble about it.
Im sure CF is the same...
Anyway, While Blues might not be for all of us because for the moment the prices are still well above the price of other mutations, to set the record straight are actually cheaper than some..
Maybe thats why he was offended. They are on par with the prices I would expect and have asked Tony to put a cuttla away for me when he can for next years pairings.

I think Simba was always in the market for Blues or at least splits...so this is what the thread is about, cant say much else for the prices of other birds.,...but at the end of the day Nat, you said yourself the birds are bigger and quaility over rules everything else so all I can say is these guys birds are cheap and I hope Tony doesnt forget about me and my order :thumbup:
cheers
Mackstaa
Mr Tino

Hi Simba wont long before I ringing you up mate !!! you know what mean,also I try to PM you wont let me

cheer from tony :wave: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Mr Tino

Hi mackstaa if ask gouldianpaul how my blue gouldiam look like in size he tell you for him self, he has order two b/h p/b blue from me .( say you can hear it from horse mouth) then you can answer what nat told about the prices. I sale them reasonbly prices (you not going to rich from this hobby ,all I want to do is young gouldian to go to good home and I want you people exceed breed them)

cheer from tony :wave: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Simba

When buying Gouldians (or any birds for that matter) my priorities are always:
1. Health of the Birds
2. Type (Colour, Size, Shape, Etc)
3. Price

Other things I also consider are the Age of the birds and the Enviroment they are coming from/going to.
Breeder of Gouldian Finches
gomer

Simba wrote:When buying Gouldians (or any birds for that matter) my priorities are always:
1. Health of the Birds
2. Type (Colour, Size, Shape, Etc)
3. Price

Other things I also consider are the Age of the birds and the Enviroment they are coming from/going to.
Just one thing to add or what I would change on Simbas list,Is number three.When buying finches particularly goulds and especially blues.Be prepared to pay more for something that has not been fostered,not been under heat,has been breed in a hardier environment,has not been breed in cabinets.It is a expensive bird bought half price six times.Also add age of young as a five year old bird maynot breed again.Also if it is more then twelve months old its breeding history aswell as success with young.

I have only been breeding blue goulds for about three to four years and have not had as much if any success with some of the above.I have bought from about five different people/ blood lines,One line I got from last year has not breed,One I got Three young from before loosing the parents,The other three lines have done better.In the last few seasons I have been able to get numbers up to a amount I wish to keep.I now believe I have a hardy strain.As the ones that are alive are the ones that made it.Some people may think this is harsh,but if somone takes a pr home at least I know I have done everything possible to supply a the hardiest bird I could.If you want to buy these birds.Try to get them from people who have done the hard yards and are on their way to achieve this.If you cant I wish you all the luck with them because you will need it unless you mimic how they were housed.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
gouldianpaul

HI All,
I hope I don't offend anyone with this post...but here is my thoughts....I recall in the mid 90's these birds were worth more than the average weekly wage....from memory $800 per blue and $1,000 for pastels...and back then they could only be described as fragile.....I remember back then too many breeders pairing up blue x blue or blue to pastels.....today the successful breeders have a history of not doing this.

So personally if a breeder has a proven record of good quality birds, bred in outdoor avairies and parent raised then I am happy to pay the going rate for them....the cheap birds will become avaiable later on....most likely at the sales in early 2012 (eg March/April)....but I always ask myself why would anyone buy gouldians at the start of a breeding season.....why are these birds not in the sellers own avairies producing young.
mackstaa

Who are you ever going to offend by what you just said?
Prices arent coming down just because a few AFF breeders think there on a good thing for 2011 2012!

Some goulds are bred late and moult late, hence selling them pre breeding season.

As Gomer said there has been decent experience in breeding blues as with other types for years and progress is slow.
If you have capital outlay as well as housing and knowledge, yes you may do well.

When Blue goulds are as strong as greens they will be $25 each not $300
Mackstaa
gouldianpaul

Macksta,

Those who breed with Bangeles, under heaters and in cabinets may have taken offence to my comments....but each to their own...Outdoor avairies and parent raised is my preference, but that is my choice.

If you are happy to be buying Goulds in March/April...good luck to you....again it's not my preference....regards, Paul
natamambo

gouldianpaul wrote:...[snip]...but I always ask myself why would anyone buy gouldians at the start of a breeding season.....
Because some breeders won't give you a choice. I'm trying to buy my birds now to give me a chance to quarantine them and then acclimatize them before my boxes go in for mid-Jan kick-off. I've had AFF members in the last two weeks refuse to sell me lone hens "coz they don't want to get left with spare cocks". General inference is to ring back after Christmas to choose from what is left over. Equally, a few weeks ago several breeders refused to sell lone longtail cocks, it was a pair or nothing.

Why not create an honest ad, the birds are not (for example) "$75 each", they are "$150 a pair and will not separate"?
gouldianpaul

fair point Natambo....but no one wants to be left with spare birds....so early in the selling season pretty much most breeders only sell pairs...but they should reflect this in their advertisement....how do you quarantine your birds if you buy them just before the breeding season?...cheers, Paul

Return to “Gouldian”