Wild Bird Mutations

Pete Sara
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

we dont think your a nerd bud.its just you easterners have a funny way of calling some birds different names to us westerners,a 28 is also known as an Australian ring neck, another is an african fire finch that your mob call a ruddy but at the end of the as long at its latin name is correct there is no problem and no nerds oh and the embla is what we call a painted finch. and yes to madhatter they got it from there call it does sound like 28 28 28...pete
MadHatter

Yes, I am a nerd and proud of it. :geek:
I wouldn't have it any other way. :thumbup:
VR1Ton

You think us easterners have got some weird names, what about the poor old Quarrion, you westeners cruelly call a Weero or Weiro, poor little buggers willget a complex with a name like that.
MadHatter

It all sounds weird to me VR1Ton. I call 'em Cockatiels. :D
mr.fox

Here, it's not unusual to see pied sparrows. Quite often they appear to be very weak fliers too. 10-15 years ago, the odd magpie turned up with an unusual amount of black on it. Now we are getting many magpies in our area with very little white and some which are totally black. NOT crows, these maggies still retain the black tipped bill and red eye. Very unusual birds to see, most people would assume they where just crows. Recently too, a member of our club showed photos of a white magpie recently fledged in the wild, not an albino, but greyish white all over. Last i heard, it had not fared well and was probably taken by a hawk. At about the same time, my mum also reported a similar bird 50-60 km away.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Mutations have always come about naturally. It's just that they survive better with our help because they, being different are more visible.
LML
LML
garymc

jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Weero is just plain wrong :D cockatiel or tiels as the Americans call them sound way stuck up they are just good old Quarrion to me OH and what about the new name for the Sulphurs whom were always known as cocky are now called Toos HUH !!!
I have toos in my back tree ...just aint right is it ?
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
AMCA26

Sorry i havnt taken a photo of the Cream Minor but it is still around and seems to have paired up with a normal one, as i have seen the 2 fly around together a bit.
Breeding Show Zebra Finches, Blue Gouldians, Pied Orange Breast.

Return to “Anything else”