show quality large size gouldians

Includes Species Profile.
BENSONSAN

Yep he does well. Very fertile birds also at that. Interesting to see he didn't have a good breeding season with his main lot of birds. I know I didn't with the gouldians also. Interested to know how everyone else here went this year aswell? Weathers been horrible
Tiaris

Gouldians started the season well for me with a very good 1st round but have not continued into later rounds with the same degree of success. The only pair which have been very productive are my only 2nd season pair (6,7,4). All others are 1st year pairs with patchy results.
Myzomela

I agree with Tiaris- you have to select for size to increase the body size. English show budgies didn't get that way just by good feeding.

However, following on from Deb's question "why?"- how big is too big? What is the end aim of this selection for size?

If we're aiming to produce birds with distorted bodyshapes like show budgies and show zebs, is that a direction that everyone is happy with?

Or is it just to have good-sized birds which still reflect the bodyshape and posture of the original bird?

I am interested in everyone's thoughts.
Research; evaluate;observe;act
Tiaris

My response to that question is it depends on the species.
I always aim to maintain natural shape, activity level, posture etc. but like to exagerate what I consider to be the most desirable features of any species I breed. With some species it is their small size which I regard as among the most desirable features eg. Orangebreasts, Red Siskins and Tri-coloured Parrotfinches are ones I always aim to maintain a very small bird with otherwise desirable features. I do select for larger body size in my normal Gouldians as they are a larger finch species which I like the look of a larger bird with strong plumage & posture features. Other species I strive to improve on mainly plumage features (eg. Painteds & Stars) & only try to maintain body size roughly where it already is. Depends on personal taste really & if there are enough breeders with varying tastes all pursuing the features they like we should have a sound and varied genetic base for our well established captive species.
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Now that's what I'm talking about ....Thanks folks and thanks Tiaris . Good point about everyone breeding to their own liking thus a varied mixture of all sized birds .
Amazing isn't it that it only took 8 years to get these Goulds to the larger size . I think it suits the Gouldians however I wouldn't want to see a supersized Orange Breast either .
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
Tiaris

Exactly Deb. Orangebreasts are the smallest finch we have and a huge part of their attraction is that they are a beautiful LITTLE bird, so in my opinion they are best kept as a small bird. Small size in Orangebreasts and the other 2 species I mentioned I like small is also a very good insurance against hybrid genes (Red Strawb in the case of OBs, Yellow Siskin in the case of Reds & Blue-faced with the Tri-coloured PFs - all a bit bigger).
Myzomela

Thanks for your comments Tiaris.

Well balanced comments as always!
Research; evaluate;observe;act
BENSONSAN

Tiaris I totally agree with you and well put
malibu_birdie

I have recently discovered that the show standard that zebs are shown by has increased in size. For those breeders wanting to show their birds increasing the size by selective breeding would now be a must. I am not saying that I agree or disagree with this but some of the zebs are getting huge. So my question would be: would the standard have been changed because the larger size is more desirable or because it is becoming more common in the show birds?
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Can't comment on Zeb rules, but budgie rules were changed by the people in office in the major clubs. So who ever is in a position to change the rules makes the rules and odds are they are the people doing the most showing. So maybe that is one reason I have no interest in showing. Generally I like smaller but brighter and livelyer birds.
LML
LML

Return to “Gouldian”