Scarlet Honeyeaters

This is the forum for any topics/posts regarding Softbills, Weavers or Whydahs that do not currently have a species profile of their own. If you wish to complete a profile feel free to do so, on completion send it to Admin for correct placement on the forum.
Netsurfer

Danny wrote:
Tintola wrote:Hence why we keep the smallest species. I have never had any aggression from the Scarlets with anything else but another Scarlet.
Come on Jeffrey. if there were 20 species available in QLD , I know someone stupid enough to keep all 20 species.
Keeping small sofbills nowadays is becoming more popular every day. Years ago when I first started with finches even the regular meal-worms were not available on regular bases, crickets were unheard off. Unless you lived out in the country where unlimited supply of white ants were available keeping wrens was virtually impossible here in Sydney. Nowadays even the 'small' size meal-worms are available quite regularly, I buy 1 kg bag as well as the godsend for Wrens the small crickets are available in half-bulk so keeping and breeding Wrens is no problem, my White-winged are on their third clutch, chicks hatched today! I assume the Scarlets can be kept and bred on the same live-food diet plus the nectar. I really hope more people go into breeding small softbills, they easy to keep, they are easy to breed and are in a variety of stunning colors, especially the Fairy Wrens. What do the Scarlet Honey-eaters sell for nowadays?
WWWrens1-20Sep11.jpg
WWWren1-4Oct11.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Netsurfer on 12 Oct 2011, 17:19, edited 4 times in total.
Danny

Netsurfer wrote:
Danny wrote:
Tintola wrote:Hence why we keep the smallest species. I have never had any aggression from the Scarlets with anything else but another Scarlet.
Come on Jeffrey. if there were 20 species available in QLD , I know someone stupid enough to keep all 20 species.
Keeping small sofbills nowadays is becoming more popular every day. Years ago when I first started with finches even the regular meal-worms were not available on regular bases, crickets were unheard off. Unless you lived out in the country where unlimited supply of white ants were available keeping wrens was virtually impossible here in Sydney. Nowadays even the 'small' size meal-worms are available quite regularly, I buy 1 kg bag as well as the godsend for Wrens the small crickets are available in half-bulk so keeping and breeding Wrens is no problem, my White-winged are on their third clutch, chicks hatched today! I assume the Scarlets can be kept and bred on the same live-food diet plus the nectar. I really hope more people go into breeding small softbills, they easy to keep, they are easy to breed and are in a variety of stunning colors, especially the Fairy Wrens. What do the Scarlet Honey-eaters sell for nowadays?
Scarlets definately prefer their livefood on the wing although I have one hen that will eat maggots from a bowl.
Tintola

Here are two links that I am posting for our fellow member "Softbills" of his Scarlet Honeyeaters feeding their two young on flies and regurgitated nectar. The male then removes the faecal sack from the chick. The second clip is the better one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjD8vLbmYDM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvzDpjM1EHg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
OH LORD, SAVE ME FROM YOUR FOLLOWERS!Image
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

:thumbup: :thumbup: Stunning :clap: :clap:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
Tintola

. What do the Scarlet Honey-eaters sell for nowadays?[/quote]

The usual price is about $500 to $600 a pair. OUCH!

How many would you like? :eh:
Tiaris

Stacks of them flying around home here at the moment. The tallowwodds & turpentines bring them in then they hang around the grevilleas, callistemons,etc in the garden. Up to 15 birds per shrub at times - beautiful.
Tintola

They are great little birds, very tame and friendly.
VR1Ton

Tintola wrote:I was using Wombaroo Honeyeater/Red then someone put me on to a much more economical home mix. It is 1kg dark brown sugar, 2 cups of dextrose and 2 tble spoons of bee pollen. Brought to the boil with 2 ltrs water, cool and add another 2 ltrs water. Bottle up and refrigerate or freeze. On this mix fresh daily they have maintained their colour at a fraction of the cost.
I've been mixing it up as a concentrate in the 2 ltrs, putting it in the fridge, then of a morning mixing half concentrate & half boiling water so it is warm when it goes in, had the cage with last seasons young fighting me for a feed of a morning over winter for a nice warm drink, & have them coming to the door for their daily serving of termites & vinegar fly containers.
desertbirds

Great info thanks to all for posting . Is anyone keeping Black Honeyeaters ?
Tintola

Some of you might not have seen the edited post with pics of the White-winged wren chick, I missed it somehow :?

Return to “For any species not listed below”