All Aviary bred- I bet!!

Buzzard-1

You can still acquire a permit from NPWS to kill native parrots/emu's decimating crops. Including helicopter shooting.
http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/wildl ... tbirds.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Fincho162

Just a variation upon this theme and linked to the Red-ears that were made available to aviculture with limted positive results if my WA "spies" are to be believed........and to show u the "reasoning" from the wonderful world of Tasmanian Wildlife depts.......they refuse to give me a permit to hold my Beautiful firetails (which came from NSW before anyone asks!!) or import any for new blood despite my limited success with them............yet in the last email they were prepared to trap them here for anyone that wants to put a submission together to keep them.........except for me of course!!! Anyone would think I might have bred one or 12!!

Well, given what I've found with keeping them it will keep someone gainfully employed trapping them to replace the ones that die...........ssssshhhhhhhhheeeeeeessssssssshhhhhhhhhh

You know, one day "they" may take some notice of the skills available to them in the avicultural communtiy..........mind u not in my life time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Seems to remember a couple of chaps from Tassy bred a few critically endangered Swift parrots not long ago!!!!!!!!!!

Interesting thread indeed Mr M...................hope u have success Deb - or even get a reply!!!

Soap box firmly stowed under table ..........................again!!!
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Nail on the head ..

If the Govt actually consulted those who have an idea about keeping these birds then we wouldnt be facing such problems as the Orange Belly disaster .
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Where birds can be shot as pests would trapping them as an alternative be so bad? Cause being dead sure would not reduce the stress on them.
LML
LML
Buzzard-1

finchbreeder wrote:Where birds can be shot as pests would trapping them as an alternative be so bad? Cause being dead sure would not reduce the stress on them.
LML
My point exactly as an ex Kangaroo trapper/shooter I could not believe they cut the commercial tags (Pet food/ human consumption) but give out limitless drop tags (Shoot and let lay)
Fincho162

Glad it was u and not me that brought up the OBP's Deb!!!!..................I might be seen as a tad biased there given I wasn't good enough to breed them...................

I might be wrong here but back when finches were legally trapped in WA wasn't that as a result of "crop protection' legislation where before live trapping a certain number were destroyed?? We were told that back when I was a boy...........maybe one of the older.........eeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrr........."more mature" WA lads would know for sure??
Be very interested to know that one way or another...............
arthur

by arthur on 09 Nov 2011, 13:10

Brief timeline for WA

1912 - 1986 Trapping of finches was legal by licensed trappers

1952 Restricted to Kimberley District

1960 Overseas export of all native wildlife prohibited by Commonwealth Govt

1973 Trappers to keep detailed records

1976 Trapping of Yellowrumps prohibited

1981 Trapping of Zebra finches prohibited

1982 Trapping of Gouldian finches prohibited

1986 Quotas introduced on all other species

1987 All finch trapping probibited (presumably at the close of the 1986 season)

1952 - 1986 'Problem finches' could be destroyed by property owners but not trapped for sale . . (Sound familiar??)

SOURCE: Franklin DC, Burbidge AH, Dostine PL. 1999. The harvest of wild birds for aviculture: an historical perspective on finch trapping in the Kimberley with special emphasis on the Gouldian Finch. Australian Zoologist. 31:92-109.
Fincho162

Thanks heaps Arthur - brilliant stuff..........so it wasn't just an "urban finch myth"...............thanks yet again!!

Fascinating..............guess the crop protection stuff isn't that surprising historically especially if u try and read that stuff on John Gould who just slaughtered his way across the contryside bird wise - why shoot 2 when u can clobber 100!!!........the description of shooting a heap of Beautifuls on the edge of Hobart Town "to have a look at them" was enough for me to shut that book for the last time...........still, different times I guess.
Tiaris

LOL John Gould the bird slaughterer. Best way to get close look I guess & plenty of most species available to "collect" in that era.
arthur

About 40 years ago (a long time after Gould), a national parks ranger told me that he had seen a Southern Cassowary in Byfield National Park . . about 1500km south of their recognised habitat

(And other 'civilians' have claimed to have seen them as well))

His bosses didn't believe him and told him that if he wanted to prove that the birds were there, he would have to shoot one

To his credit he said that there was no way that he would be a part of that . . .

And then there was the 'examine bower bird brains' research into dementia

So the "slaughter for science" mindset may still be 'alive and well'

Gee . . A long way off topic here

Return to “Anything else”