show quality large size gouldians

Includes Species Profile.
nswchainsaw

malibu_birdie wrote:I have recently discovered that the show standard that zebs are shown by has increased in size. For those breeders wanting to show their birds increasing the size by selective breeding would now be a must. I am not saying that I agree or disagree with this but some of the zebs are getting huge. So my question would be: would the standard have been changed because the larger size is more desirable or because it is becoming more common in the show birds?
Sorry thats not true the points standard for Zebs is Type=40 , Condition=15 , Markings=25 , Colour=15 and Size is only 5 points , what we look at is the overall bird.
Garry
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Im guessing a well proportioned bird is more important than size ...to a degree.
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
malibu_birdie

Thanks nswchainsaw, I misinterpreted information given to me, I stand corrected. :thumbup:
MadHatter

I think size is very much associated with strength, vigour and fecundity. As a result, breeders - and particularly those breeding for show - deliberately select for large body size.
There is nothing intrinsically wrong with that, but for those of us like myself who's focus is on maintaining wild-type birds, this is well worth keeping in mind. I've often though about putting together a list of normal size ranges for various biometric measuerments of different species. Anyone else think that'd be worthwhile?
Diane

I think its a good idea.
Most other animals kept as pets or hobby whatever you want to call it have breed standards, albeit set by humans ideal of the perfect specimen.
At least it would be a guide to what is considered the norm given the habitat of the species.
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits
Brooksy

MadHatter wrote:I think size is very much associated with strength, vigour and fecundity. As a result, breeders - and particularly those breeding for show - deliberately select for large body size.
There is nothing intrinsically wrong with that, but for those of us like myself who's focus is on maintaining wild-type birds, this is well worth keeping in mind. I've often though about putting together a list of normal size ranges for various biometric measuerments of different species. Anyone else think that'd be worthwhile?
I think that would be a brilliant idea & wouldn't mind referring to it from time to time. Let me know if you go ahead with it
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

A good idea it is. :thumbup: Hmm an honours thesis there for some enterprising Biology student?
LML
LML

Return to “Gouldian”