FAWN/PIED DIAMOND SPARROW ......FINALLY DONE IT.

An area to discuss new and established colour mutations.
wildbill

hi craig

no drama - i hear what you are saying. in this case it appears something had gone very wrong.

1. on close inspection it appeared it had suffered some type of a head trauma/wound. most likely ventured too close to another diamonds nest.
2. the young one had no food in it what-so-ever so those two factors alone had sealed its fate.

i really don't like posing dead birds but here it is.

i too hate losing rare mutations and i honestly feel some people who read my threads hope i do. i've been in and out of birds for 45 years and i know exactly how the odd bird man thinks. now in your case you were the first to put it to me and i sincerely thank you for your concern and advise. you knew i had something special and i might be waiting weeks for that to happen again.
as for the blues -this time around i have lined up some good quality birds to start things rolling. just last week i found a young blue about 15 days old on the floor. couldn't find out where it came from and placed it in another nest box with 4 young around 10 or 12 days old.
yesterday/today it was flying about with two of its new nest mates so that made my day.

wildbill

this one is starting to colour up a bit. largest bird of the 3 in nest. nice markings if cock pied/fawn.

finches247
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Congrats Nice Bird :thumbup: :clap:
wildbill

i had this bird and his sibling almost sold. thought it over and cancelled. appears to be a nice looking pied. see the difference from photo 3 days ago

finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Oh yes nice. :thumbup:
LML
LML
Diane

If I was the buyer I would be disappointed but if the owner I would have done the same and kept it. Beautiful looking bird.
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits
wildbill

there's just something about that bird which draws your attention to the white eye band around the neck. just below eye level on both sides.
i'd say it will be a cock bird. looks as big as a full grown adult now. first thing i noticed was the size of the bird.
meanwhile these parents are back on eggs again. visually they are almost normal looking diamonds with just the odd wing tip white feather.
wildbill

this young pied has gotta be my favorite bird in the aviary. out of the nest 2 weeks and already a good 20% bigger than it's father. got the same solid body type as the fawns in the adjacent aviary so with a bit of luck i know where he is going later.

bit hard to get a good sharp photo with this camera. next time i will shoot the shot in shutter priority - too much head movement and at the wire these photos do no justice.
wildbill

a 5 minute bust of wild weather hit this place today. just went out to give them there last feed for the day when this nicely marked pied flew from the flight floor. after i hunted it back inside i took a quick photo.
pretty sure something scared it from the breeding nest. it appears like the same bird i pulled from a nest 2 weeks back when i had plans to relocate a few inmates. only a few days old then and barely had a few white feathers.
two young only in that particular nest...this one and a normal. come to think of it a young normal bird was flying about the aviary 2 days back which i rung today. probably the nest mate.
what i know of still two nest or more to go. one had 3 young and the other 4. heard them being fed today so i will see what happens in the following days.

Craig52

Well done Graham,sounds like more to come and they might be even better. :thumbup: Craig

Return to “Mutation Finches”