Australian blue goulds

An area to discuss new and established colour mutations.
Tiaris

The prices asked for a new mutation or combination are a very subjective matter & at the end of the day will be determined by what the buyers are prepared to pay rather than the initial asking price of the first seller to advertise them. As an example, I notice the same seller of these Gouldians is also asking $2500pr for fawn pied Diamonds. Both the fawn & pied mutations are becoming very well established & such a price would be a very big gamble as a prospective purchase for a combination which will undoubtedly fall dramatically in price in the near future as other breeders catch up & breed their own fawn pieds from the source mutations.
Perhaps in time the price of AYB Gouldians will vary according to the amount of blue streaking as this appears to be a highly desirable attribute of this combination.
gouldianpaul

I love it when peoples opinion of a bird is based on their interpretation of it's price (too high normally). Craig the prices you quoted are coming from the breeder in Geelong. Everyone know her prices are inflated, and more importantly most who have bought from her have tossed their $$$$ in the bin shortly after.

Yes the price is set by supply/demand....but as this new bird is still being established it is not as simple as adding the price of a blue and an AY to get to the price of an AYB....the fact that they are proving difficult to get through the moult is probably having something to do with the premium being asked.

Finchy,
You state you have successfully breed many mutations, but you don't name them. You have a strong opinion about the AYB and are happy to cricicise other forum members comments....several of these members have the AYB on the perch as we speak........what about you????

You are happy to dismiss other peoples reaction to yours as an over reaction, yet take it personally when return fire comes your way.

Cheers
Paul
Tiaris

I'm totally unfazed by the price of this bird. It roughly equates to the price paid by many people years ago for blues & silvers when they were weaker than many of the blues offered for sale today at a much lower price. I know there is far more to combining existing mutations (albeit already challenging ones) than simply putting two different birds together and whammo. The whole process requires a good knowledge of the birds you are working with as well as patience, persistence and an ability to breed & select birds well to produce a worthwhile result. If those who have bred AYBs get a few bob for them, good on them.
Finchy

SamDavis wrote: What about "Aussie Scruff" or AS for short???? :wtf:
:D Sam, you stirrer, you! It's funny, even with just a couple of people not reading the comments properly and trying to convince me that I have strong negative views about this bird, it's actually starting to work!! I had almost no feelings about AYBs at all for the first 6 pages but now I'm starting to really dislike them! I'm convinced! ;-)

I do think that asking prices are just an inevitable result of supply, demand and taste. Those who love the look of these birds, or find their genetics interesting, or (more likely) are suckered in by 'rareness', or (even more likely) want to try making a motsa from them by selling them to the first three types, may be willing to risk a lot of money. Those who don't want AY genes in their flock, or aren't breeding for profit, or don't like the ROI risk, or just don't like the look of them, won't buy them. It's tough to argue with market forces I think, however irrational or greedy they can appear. C'est la vie.
mattymeischke

Finchy wrote:or don't like the ROI risk,
What is 'the ROI risk', please?
mm.
Avid amateur aviculturalist; I keep mostly australian and foreign finches.
The art is long, the life so short; the critical moment is fleeting and experience can be misleading, crisis is difficult....... (Hippocrates)
Tiaris

Return on investment.
casehulsebosch

What's all the crap about return on investment! I always thought this was our hobby, and hobbies by definition cost money.

We- wife and I - once imported Bouvier des Flandres dogs into NZ . They were the first of the breed in Australasia.
Price for three dogs in 1975 NZ $9000. My annual gross wages $8000.

Never recovered the money and never regretted importing them. and if I had too I would do it all over again. The satisfaction one gets from a hobby cannot be measured in coins.

cheers, Case
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The satisfaction one gets from a hobby cannot be measured in coins.
That is because to you and me and 99% of the people that sign up here, it is a hobby. It is the other 1% to whom everything is regretfully measured in coins.
LML
LML
casehulsebosch

Than it does not fit the definition of "Hobby" for that one percent, does it?

Cheers, Case
gouldianpaul

casehulsebosch wrote:What's all the crap about return on investment! I always thought this was our hobby, and hobbies by definition cost money.

We- wife and I - once imported Bouvier des Flandres dogs into NZ . They were the first of the breed in Australasia.
Price for three dogs in 1975 NZ $9000. My annual gross wages $8000.

Never recovered the money and never regretted importing them. and if I had too I would do it all over again. The satisfaction one gets from a hobby cannot be measured in coins.

cheers, Case
Well put Case....too many comments based on $$$$, not love for this bird and the challenge of establishing the AYB for the future.......over and out for me on this topic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cheers
Paul

Return to “Mutation Finches”