Hand raised Mallee Ringneck

jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Well there ya go ....

I read that they dont in a very old book that was raising the argument for them to be reclassified however even though not all mine do use their feet I have 2 that do use their feet to hold branches while they chew .

So some do and some dont I suppose . Theyre not suppose to hang upside down like a fruit bat either but mine do .

Girl Quarrions arent meant to talk but one of mine does and yes she is a girl .
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
Nathan Morleyy

what were they going to reclassifie cockatiels into?.

The malle ringneck chews 100 times more than my pet cockatiel she never really used to chew but my mallee ringneck chews absolutly everthing it gets a bit anoying.

Regards Nathan
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Trying to determine if they were Cockatoos or Parrots .

Nathan I have a pair of grass parrots that can shred a huge branch in hours , never seen anything like it .
My Corella is the best chewer , internet cords , shoes , boxes , switches off a generator and no shirt is safe when she sees a button :crazy:
David Brent
Nathan Morleyy

My Mallee Ringneck chews all of thows thing also he absolutly loves chewing eycoliptis leaves/branches that I put in hies cage. The other funny thing that he does is that when I put him on the lining room floor he just runs around on the floor of the living room for oures its really good to watch and he really enjoys his time runing around my livingroom he has been out of his cage for about 8 houres a day. how long should I let him out of his cage per day for?.

Regards Nathan
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Is he going to be allowed 8 hours of free time a day when you go back to school ?

If not then he needs to be learning to amuse himself when left alone .

I give mine an hour of free flight at a time , this entertains them and they usually go back to the cage by themsleves for a nap.

They are all different .
David Brent
Nathan Morleyy

No he won't be able to be out of his cage for 8 ours a day when I go back to school but he will still be out of his cage for about 5 oures so still a long time. Do you think I should cut it down to one houre a day? He has clipped winges so he runs instead. Thanks for all the parrot advice I needed it.

Regards Nathan
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

No not 1 hour a day . Several 1 hour playtimes .

The ideal situation is play then back to the cage for a feed / drink and sleep . The cage has to be their comfort zone and their safe place .
David Brent
Nathan Morleyy

Deb,
So I should let him out of his cage for 1 our then put him back in for how long?.

Regards Nathan
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I can only tell you how my hand reareds are Nathan . Your bird may be different .

I have other commitments so it varies as to how long they stay in the cage . If no one is home then they stay out longer but if the family are home I cant trust them to open and close doors ao the birds stay in the cage .

In time you will get a routine going , the most important thing is training it now while it is young . Go to Dr Rob Marshalls web site where he gives a write up on a typical routine for a hand reared bird .
David Brent
Nathan Morleyy

Deb,
I have a problem when I train him he steps up and I give him a pinenut he takes it and the just drops it on the ground the I pick it up and give it to him and he does it again I dont think he likes pine nuts so how do I postivly renforce him in onother way because when I give him A pinenut he just drops it.

Regards Nathan

Return to “Parrots”