Kingfishers... Look before you chop!

This is the forum for any topics/posts regarding Softbills, Weavers or Whydahs that do not currently have a species profile of their own. If you wish to complete a profile feel free to do so, on completion send it to Admin for correct placement on the forum.
Tintola

Just a warning when collecting termite colonies. Check on all sides of the nest that nothing else is making the termite nest their home as well. A local finch breeder collected an arboreal nest only to find a kingfisher nest deep inside with only a four centimetre entrance hole showing. The photo below is what was inside. Two young kingfishers (probably Sacreds) about two or three days old which are now being hand-reared. Big job ahead, two days later all going well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
OH LORD, SAVE ME FROM YOUR FOLLOWERS!Image
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Good luck raising these guys.
LML
LML
Tintola

Thanks, I'll do my darnedest. :thumbup:
ruthieharris

Oh No ! Aw good luckTintola hope they pull through for you I reckon you can do it :thumbup: Didnt realise such an old post , did they go alright ?
Never ever be afraid to do whats right if the well being of an animal is at stake.
Societys punishments are small compared to the wounds we afflict on our Soul when we look the other way.
~ Blue Caps ~ Tanimbars ~ Cutthroats ~ Gouldians ~ Silkie Chickens~
Tiaris

The main reason why I never collect arboreal termites & try to discourage others from it too. KFs & Kookaburras love them to nest in.
Tintola

ruthieharris wrote:Oh No ! Aw good luckTintola hope they pull through for you I reckon you can do it :thumbup: Didnt realise such an old post , did they go alright ?
8.30pm last night is not such an old post :lol: So far so good, growing well, I've had them since Sat arvo.
mattymeischke

Amazing toes on 'em.

Good luck with rearing them, Tintola; they couldn't have fallen into better hands.
Avid amateur aviculturalist; I keep mostly australian and foreign finches.
The art is long, the life so short; the critical moment is fleeting and experience can be misleading, crisis is difficult....... (Hippocrates)
ruthieharris

lol ! :oops: was looking at wrong date .... glad to hear theyre ok :thumbup:
Never ever be afraid to do whats right if the well being of an animal is at stake.
Societys punishments are small compared to the wounds we afflict on our Soul when we look the other way.
~ Blue Caps ~ Tanimbars ~ Cutthroats ~ Gouldians ~ Silkie Chickens~
Tintola

I just found out that it wasn't an arboreal termite nest but a ground one and the kingfisher nest hole was only 30 cm (1 foot) from the ground. So even the terrestrial ones should be checked.
Tintola

Have a look at the difference three days can make. They are in the same container.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “For any species not listed below”