Long billed correlas

Nathan Morleyy

Today I saw over at the park across from my house a flock of about 30 long billed correlas is it rear to see long billed correlas in sydney as my bird fild guid shows that sydney is way out of long billed correlas natural range is that true? Is it rear to see long billed correlas in sydney?.

Regards Nathan
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I would have thought you would see more short billed ( Little Corellas) however with having the second reasonably wet summer Ive noticed a few birds out of their normal zones .

We now have Rainbow Lorikeets in the back yard and Crimson Wings , both birds unseen here 7 years ago when I moved here .
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
Nathan Morleyy

Deb, but my bird book says there range is down the bottom of victoria so sydney is way out of there range. they were definatly not little correlas they had to much ping on them and there beaks were really long. I evan have photoes if you want to check that they are indeed long billed correlas. I have no idea why they are 1000's of km out of there range.

Regards Nathan
natamambo

Nathan, the long billed corella is considered uncommon even in their natural range. However, there are reports of populations right up the eastern seaboard, these are either feral populatons (from escaped birds), or hybrids with little corellas (again, escapees are the cause). I would have thought that even little corellas east of the dividing range were uncommon.

The identifying characteristic is the pink under the chin, not the total quantity of pink on the face which does vary a bit.

So, while there is a possibility of your usual teenage enthusiasm leading to not listening, it is possible that you see what you think on this occasion and with a very simple explanation.

Post a photograph of the pink under the chin, and then post your confirmed sighting in birdata.
desertbirds

We have had a mixed flock here in recent years, short and long bills. Im guessing the Long Bills are aviary escapees or birds that have been released. As Jusdeb said, many birds have shown up where they dont normally occur over the last few years and its mostly due to the huge wet seasons we have had.
Nathan Morleyy

I dont think mine were aviary escapees as there were about 30 of them far to many for aviary escapees they have been haning around the parkl for a couple of days I can hear them screaching now.

Regards Nathan
desertbirds

That screaching you can hear Nathan is part of the reason why there are aviary releases. They are very noisy critters. More than likely whay you see is a wild flock and no doubt with all te rain around thay could cover large distances and move into other areas.
Nathan Morleyy

At first I thought that they were little correllas but then I walked over and had a closer look and I saw the bright red on there ches and face I knew they were long billed correllas after they flew up to the nearest tree it looked like a plow had gone threw it they dug up the ground really badly.

Regards Nathan
Nrg800

Nathan, Long-billed Corellas are becoming very common in Sydney, especially in the Northern Beaches. They are decended from escapee population, which isn't to say that these birds are escapees, saying that would be like saying that every Myna or Starling you see in an escapee. The Little Corellas are also introduced into Sydney, the only Cockatoos native to Sydney are Sulfur-Crested, Yellow-tailed Black, Glossy Black and Galah (which were rare in Sydney too). The birds you see are Long-billed Corellas, and they are not rare :)
Latest Lifer: Black-headed Gull (HaLong Bay. #528)
Australia List: 324 (White-throated Nightjar)
Global Year List: 119 (Powerful Owl)
natamambo

Nathan they are free and prolific breeders if they find enough nesting sites. 2 escapees can quickly become 8 and 32 and before you know it in 2-3 years you have a whole small flock. Their noise attracts others too, so all it takes is for a couple of small flocks to find each other and whammo you have a not so small flock...

Return to “Parrots”