Gouldians with 'sleepy eyes' and puffy chests... (Video)

Is your finch sick or not well? Find out why.
Simba

If your looking for a high energy suppliment this one is good, but expensive

http://www.birdhealth.com.au/product/quikgel.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Breeder of Gouldian Finches
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

quick gel = :thumbup: :thumbup:
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
cookey

If the experienced finch owners are recommending quick gel, I would personally go with that. On the day I bought mine, there was no quick gel left in stock, hence the different product.

The supplement I used is literally called ' First Aid' and is manufactured by Passwell Pty Ltd. The website is http://www.wombaroo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. It's an Australian made and owned product.
"If your surrounded by yes men, one of you has to go".
Colin Powell
Simba

Hi

Just wondered how the Blue is going ?
cookey

I'm with Simba. How did things work out? Did you administer some vitamins?
Colin Powell
Finchy

I tried both Quikgel and First Aid but he still went downhill, becoming ridiculously thin in the keel. I've seen dead birds with more flesh on them. His eyes were sticking shut more and more, until they were almost entirely shut (still with no signs of redness or inflammation though). He was eating a lot of seed husk for some reason. His skin was dark red, as if dehydrated.

So...I brought him back indoors again yesterday. I did all kinds of things together that I would not normally do, out of desperation, because I believed I was basically watching him die. I...

- Gave him water with Quikgel and low dose Nutrivet as before, but this time with Doxycycline added. I also added a stronger selection of acidifyers - citric acid, ACV, Virkon-S - dropping the pH below 5. The first two doses were by hand with a pipette, then I left it up to him.

- Gave him two forced baths in ACV and Virkon-S water with Doxycycline, including washing his face with a soft paint brush. I dried him by hand in paper towels and then by sitting him in direct sun for 20 minutes. So he had two good sun bathes as well.

- Mixed supplement powders and probiotics into his food as before, plus this time also human digestive enzymes .

Today his eyes are open. He's perching again. He's hopping about. I can't believe it. Skinny as a Whippet, so I am not pinning my hopes too much, but the change is very surprising and remarkable. He's even chirping occasionally and flying up to the top perch.
Simba

That's good to hear there has been some improvement today, you are certianly trying your best for him, don't be temped to put him back in the avairy yet just keep doing what your doing and certainly keep up the quick gel that's going to give him the energy he needs. Good Luck
cookey

Well done finchy. I hope the little guy pulls through.
Colin Powell
Finchman1

See if you can get your hands on Turbosole works a treat for sick birds.I recently had a young diamond that was sick,drooping wings,loss weight.I wormed,treated with baycox etc..still no good.I then gave it Turbosole for 5 days.
The bird has put wieght and going fine now
Finchy

I did buy Turbosole and treated the whole aviary for a second time based on advice here - unnecessarily, as it turns out. Little Blue still went downhill fast. However, his response to Doxycycline - my last ditch attempt/guess - has been profound and rapid. He's actually singing today. So it must have been bacterial all along.

The other birds now appear well, without Doxycycline; it must be the inherent weakness of a Blue that was cabinet bred on seed and antibiotics, who had never seen the sun or flown more than 60cm before he got to my place. Poor little guy. I'm still kicking myself for that foolish purchase, all because I hadn't been able to find any good Blue breeders in Sydney at the time.

Return to “Finch Health”