Genetics with Painteds

Includes Species Profile.
geasterbrook

Hi all,

Is the genetics with painteds such that the normal red is dominant over yellow, and the colour mutation not sex linked ?

I have a pair of painteds that I purchased from bird show at Canberra that are up to their 5th nest.

Both birds appear to be normal red, but I have the odd yellow within the young. I am presuming from that both birds must have yellow within them

From my high school genetics if both birds were split Red/Yellow, with red dominant over yellow I would expect 1 in 4 on average.

In my most recent nest of 5 I have 3 yellow which seems unusual.

Geoff
natamambo

Geoff, the yellow is autosomal recessive. Both birds are split yellow. Remember your population genetics will have said 1 in 4 on average for such a mutation and that's with long term sampling.

With "luck" like that you'd better get a few pairs of split blue Gouldians :lol: .
geasterbrook

Yes or maybe buy more lottery tickets
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If this is their 5th nest and there are 3 yellow and 2 red. My question is what were in the other nests? How many chicks altogether? How many reds altogether? How many yellows altogether? Odds are the answer will be something like this.
20 chicks 15 red 5 yellow. Well how acurate is my guess? Because is I am close this is a perfectly normal result. In all but that they are a little more fertile than the average pair.
LML
LML
geasterbrook

to date i had had 2 yellows from 14 chicks prior to this nest

I guess the odd swing around over time
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

5 out of 19 is almost exactly 25% or exactly what they should have produced. Genetics is like flipping a coin it works best with several goes.
LML
LML
venetta

I just wanted to bring this up again, as the baby we took from the nest today that wasn't looking well it obviously a yellow painted..

The hen is a red and the cock is a yellow... How does it work, is it in fact sex linked, as we are sure that she couldn't be split for yellow!
Venetta and Kylie
natamambo

No it's not sex linked so she's definitely split for yellow, sorry about that.....
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You have a red split R/y x yy = 50% R/y and 50% yy in the young. yy being pure yellow recessive. Sex is not relative because they are not sex linked.
LML
LML
Pete Sara
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

The hen ( parent bird) is not split yellow , Its father was 3rd generation red of my breeding the mother one of spannas, so as far as I know its not a split....

Return to “Painted”