Hooded Parrots

jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Can anyone give me some info about Hoodeds please ?
Are they more challenging than Red Rumps ?

And where would be a good place to start looking for them , Ive seen them in the pet shop but I dont think they were very good examples going on photos on the internet .

Thanks thats all
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Can't tell you anything about then but they were at a canberra bird sale in August and also are often listed on wattle aviaries.
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I always forget about Wattle aviaries . Thanks Jay .
Now just need to sell more birds to top up the bird kitty. :thumbup:
David Brent
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

:lol: me too. Haven't looked at it in months! Off to have a looksie now :D
Julian

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

lol Nugget emptied mine out .
David Brent
natamambo

Deb, I've never had them but they are on my "one day" list. I have gleaned the following over the years (in eager anticipation):
* They can be fussy in choosing mates, so you might need a couple of pairs (but only 1 per aviary) and swap cocks & hens around if no go breeding wise. Two young / uncoloured birds allowed to mature together is often more successful than re-pairing.
* Often they will breed better if they have a tunnel (real or simulated) on the box entrance hole at the start of the season, they nest naturally in termite mounds so plugging the tunnel with a little mud seems to help some hens.
* The young very frequently die in the nest from cold, once upon a time anything below the Tropic of Capricorn was said to need heated nest boxes. Don't know how they go these days but that was always enough to put me off.
* They generally breed at 2 years and can live to 15.
* Mutations now destroying pure blood lines, in time pures may be worth lots more.

They have been covered multiple times in A/A magazine and ABK.
Myzomela

Hi Deb,
They are similar to red rumps but smaller and possibly not as free breeding as a general rule.
In the earlier days this was because they bred in autumn/winter and the hens would stop incubating before the chicks were fully feathered. Some breeders would have to use heated nest boxes to overcome this, much like with golden-shouldereds.
They have now been bred to many generations in captivity so that many will also nest in spring and will sit full term and raise clutches in non-heated boxes. You just need to make sure that the birds you buy have come from such stock.
Like most Psephotus parrots they can be quite aggressive when breeding but they are great characters and are full of personality & of course they are beautiful to look at.

I think that they would be perfect for your climate Deb!!!
Research; evaluate;observe;act
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

About te one pair per aviary thing I read in a just finches a guy had a ten by ten m aviary with mixed finches as well as a colony of ten pairs ofhoodeds
Julian

Tintola

I keep and breed them Deb. Everything natamambo stated is true. They are winter breeders and start about March. In the wild they nest in terrestrial termite mounds and as such do not need to brood the young after about 7 to 10 days as the inside temp is 30deg or more. I lost several clutches in a couple of years until I put a reptile heat pad in the bottom of the nest box. Having said that I know several breeders that don't heat the box and are very successful. The common factor here is a box that looks too small and as "nat" said, a wooden spout to the nest as this tends to keep the warmth in. Another strategy is to have a box within a smaller box with polystyrene between the two boxes. They are beautiful birds and are well worth the extra trouble.

Oops Myzu just told you most of that while I was typing :thumbup: .
OH LORD, SAVE ME FROM YOUR FOLLOWERS!Image
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Awesome thank you for the replies . They are indeed very striking birds and Im pretty sure they will be my next challenge .
Ill put an order in to the designs dept for a insulated box with a tunnel and mud :thumbup:
David Brent

Return to “Anything else”