Green Seed Heads

List what type of plants you keep in your aviaries/cages
desertbirds

iaos wrote:I guessing but...
1. Millet (jap?)
2. French white millet
3. Pannicum? White?
I think your right iaos.
Some of the Jap millet appears to be ripe, the other two arent quite there yet and sometimes towards the end of the growing season the plants dont produce great quailty seed heads, they may look wonderful but contain little seed.Jap Millet is best picked when it gets a brown tinge and the other two will have yellow/whitish visible seeds. The catch 22 is that if you wait til the seeds are ripe, all the feral and native birds will hook into your crop if its not protected by netting.Its also another guide as to wether the seeds are ripe, birds will turn up, in my case its the local zebby population and ringneck parrots.
As a rough guide , or if people arent sure on feeding green seed heads, give the seed head a gentle rub between thumb and forefinger. If seed falls off then its good to go. Harv may disagree but the top pic showing bright green jap millet (or a close realtive) will be largely ignored.The birds may have a chew but there isnt much seed thats actually set yet.
Ive also heard Jayburd and other members saying his birds ignore seed heads, i wouldnt mind betting its because the seeds arent ripe enough.This seed isnt jap millet but a close relative, you can see the slight brownish tinge and this is the stage i`d picking it to feed the birds.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Types of plants”