Breeding longtails

Yellow Billed and Red Billed (Hecks)
Includes Species Profiles
Pete Sara
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Yes parsons are on my list , but at this point I have to many hands in the cookie jar let alone to many eggs in one basket...pete
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

:lol: they're really nice. I got a nice white rump pair for my friend, and work just acquired some nice chocolate parsons courtesy of mickw.
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
natamambo

So exactly when is the breeding season? Mine all built nests, some laid eggs and refused to sit, nests fell to bits. All that happened in sept / oct and no sign of any action now.
SamDavis

natamambo wrote:So exactly when is the breeding season?
Mine don't seem to have a season, they breed throughout the whole year and just seem to stop for a month or two every so often.
Jayburd wrote:How big are your aviaries?
Finch breeding aviaries: two are 4m by 4m with 7 pairs of different species in each. Another is pretty exposed and heavily planted - 8m by 3m with 10 pairs (I think) - 2 pair of some species in this one plus god knows how many king quail. Also have a holding aviary so I catch young regularly to keep numbers down in the breeding aviaries. This year I plan (hope) to extend the 8m by 3m aviary into one roughly 12m by 6m with alot of sheltered covered areas.
natamambo

SamDavis wrote:
natamambo wrote:So exactly when is the breeding season?
Mine don't seem to have a season, they breed throughout the whole year and just seem to stop for a month or two every so often.
Well that explains why my wife caught one pair doing the wild thing this morning. :D

Return to “Long Tailed”