CROSS BREADING LICENCED BIRDS

GregH

I knew what you meant Myzo - no offence taken. I agree with you 100% but as stakeholders in the "industry" we are open to conflict of interest and as such our opinions are not a valuable as an expert in the department that knows nothing about birds.
E Orix

Tintola
Its easy to get pure looking Golden Pheasants just paint their legs yellow,sell them quickly then run.
Tintola

:lol: :lol: :lol: I assume that you mean the hens.
OH LORD, SAVE ME FROM YOUR FOLLOWERS!Image
SamDavis

GregH wrote:... as stakeholders in the "industry" we are open to conflict of interest and as such our opinions are not a valuable as an expert in the department that knows nothing about birds.
Government departments are obsessed with this nonsense. In my work I've come accross this "you're a stakeholder, you have a commercial interest therefore you can't be on the panel" nonsense many times. Personally, I find such policies highly offensive. The obvious issue in many areas is that the only professionals who actually know what's really going on are the ones who are a commercial success in the industry. These are precisely the people excluded from government decision making processes. We end up with a collection of wafflers and procrastinators making decisions and the rest of us just have to deal with the consequences. Seems the wildlife authorities are no different so best to tread carefully when suggesting any new regulations.
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

People seriously concerned about the future and welfare of these animals should be running the show NOT some pencil pusher whos number was drwan for that posting for a limited amount of time ...of course they wont care , its just a job while they wait to got up the ladder one rung at a time .

Thers no in between with hybrid lovers / haters it seems . Those that do will defend themselves and justify the practise with such stipid remaks as " its natural . they fall in love and breed by themselves " rubbish ...of course they will cross breed if they are the only 2 birds in an aviary .

Thise who disagree just get told to get over themselves ...sadly the young ones are following in the footsteps in an effort to chase the big $$$$$ and dont really know what the hell the long term consequences are and neither do they care .

EDUCATION ...well they dont want to hear and you cant educate an idiot anyways so we are doomed unless some one steps up and makes ILLEGAL and then follows through with FINES and even GAOL .

Oh those natives hybrids that werw 1000 a pop are now 750 , a new add went up last night so obviouly dept of " do nothings" have done nothing as yet SHEESH really over it folks it makes my blood boil .
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hopefully the discounted price is a reflection of people not wanting this sort of thing and will discourage such practices. :clap: We live in hope. :thumbup:
LML
LML
Wayno

finchbreeder wrote:Alternatively - Australia wide. Anyone knowingly hybridising birds for the purpose of profit over sustainability should be named and shamed.
LML
Here you go then, doesnt take much of a search to see that plenty of people are out crossing birds for coin! Report these people if you have any balls or is it just finches you are worried about :roll:

http://www.alexandrineparrotmutations.c ... ine-parrot" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Myzomela

The problem, Wayno, is that there is no law banning breeding of hybrids of exotic species, so there is nothing to report.

We've discussed the natives- the state authorities are too understaffed to care or do anything about it.

All we can do is educate people and hope that less and less of our fellow breeders find deliberate hybridising desirable or acceptable.
Research; evaluate;observe;act
SamDavis

Myzomela wrote:All we can do is educate people and hope that less and less of our fellow breeders find deliberate hybridising desirable or acceptable.
Agreed, educating these bods really is easier said than done. In my experience those who produce/condone hybrids are usually those without a licence (but keep licenced birds), those happy to trap wild natives and those who just wont even enter into a conversation about the issues. To them it's all a total non-issue and they think you're somehow mentally deficient (or inbred with Bob Brown) if you bring up the topic.

Return to “Anything else”