Baby Birds

Includes Species Profile
Trilobite

Hi all,
I dont want to harp on it for too much longer but woudl just like to clarify further a statement I made about mealworms having an unbalanced ca:p ratio. While this is true ( as it is for crickets) it must not be taken out of context. It does not mean that mealworms are bad ( I use them for the weavers and GS Sparrows amongst others) to be used in your finch breeding. However the devil is always in the details and the details are not always conveyed in the short space we have here, if your husbandry is good and diets varied what one food lacks is often made up by other aspects in another food. Certain bird species also have differing requirements. So please make sure you dont remove mealies from your finches diet, just make sure it is varied and constant.
Cheers
Trilobite
cookey

I wont be removing any of the food they currently get - high quality seeds, fresh vegies/fruit, egg & biscuit mix, finch crumbles and of course the mealies. Now want to add maggots to the diet and see how that goes.

Thanks for advice.
"If your surrounded by yes men, one of you has to go".
Colin Powell
cookey

Good news. Two of the babies survived and seem to be thriving. The nest was packed with feathers so they must have been hidden in amongst the feathers when I took the dead ones out.

Significantly increasing the mealworms has worked well so thanks for the advice. My maggots are just about ready to go so hopefully there will be another batch of young before the winter.
"If your surrounded by yes men, one of you has to go".
Colin Powell
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/

Return to “Red Cheeked Cordon”