Indian Ring Neck

venetta

we're taking on an Indian ring neck this week, as it was found and the lady who found it was unable to locate it's owners after posting on websites and putting up posters..

Has anyone got any good tips for keeping them? Kylie keeps warning me that it will be loud, but hey, so is the lorikeet! lol

They think it's a girl, I haven't met her yet.. they also think she's farily young, but she likes to sit on shoulders and chat away..

Now it's just a matter of thinking of something to call it/her also! It's like naming a child! :/

So yeah, just happy to hear any advice or tips anyone may have! :)
I'll put up photos when we get her :)
Venetta and Kylie
Pete Sara
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

they can rival any lorrikeet , they is loud and can be ever so if they dont get the attention they want , to top it off you have a feral population of the things out your way, from thornlie to armadale , had a blue one in my sights afew years back.. its one of those things that the DEC should do somthing about as back in the darkages about 20 years ago in order to keep them and rainbow lorrikeets and the such your aviary ( note not a cage) had to have a 30cm plus footing and firmly bolted to it witha double saftey door. Now how many people keep them things in small cages and wonder why we have feral populations... sorry Venetta for the rant its one of my passions . Just hate how people are allowed to get away with things and makes it hard for the rest of us...pete....
VR1Ton

Lorikeets have got nothing on a ringneck, the most aptly named bird ever, I've got about 30 lorikeets & 8 Major Mitchells, & they don't worry me in the slightest. I had 2pr of Ringnecks, pr normal green & a pr of lutinos back in the early '90's when they were still faiworth a couple of hundred, &were still able to sell them, lasted about 2 weeks & I gave them away. Everytime I walk out the back door, it was non-stop screaming, could have rung their bloody necks, but each to their own.
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yep ditto and Im hearing impaired :shock:
Quakers also have a noise that rivals nails down a blackboard .
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
venetta

These are things I have heard and I've figured I am going to have to have it out alot to play with etc. And hoping this will keep it entertained enough that it wont screech too much when i do have to leave it to go to work etc!!

I would be keeping it in a large-ish cage inside, (probably the same size as our lorikeets, pete) but when home I would be likely to have it out and roaming, but within eyesight due to cats! hahaha. Most likely will get one of those little (well most likely a big one) play gyms for it when it's out also!

I wouldn't be game to take it outside for fear of it flying away!!!
Venetta and Kylie
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

http://www.indianringneck.com/articles/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
Pete Sara

As long as you dont think I am having a go at you Venetta , you will be fine with ,its the ones that buy the bird leave it in a small cage where it rots for the rest of its life , thats where most birds pick up the bad habbits just like kids and dogs, when they crave attention they do what they can to get it wether its good or bad a bit of positive reinforcemnet usually fixes the problems, when they get to noisy for people they just let them go and that really gets me going , Now if they were kept on the dec $30 licsence a lot of people would have a wake up call, but then again its not the darkages any more... I just hope its not a noisy one and from what I have been told it can take 18 months to 2 years to work out the sex.....pete
venetta

All good Pete, I'd just slap ya! :P

Speaking of DEC licences.. We still need to send that silly piece of paper off... >:/ lol

I should just do it RIGHT NOW!
Venetta and Kylie
Pete Sara

just print a new one off the dec web site and send it....if I don't get mine soon , which is due now I will be doing just that.....and yes I figured you would slap me.lol..... pete
matcho

I am mainly a finch person but Ringnecks are really a good looking bird. We had a feral population in Sans Souci (Sydney) when I was young (read 40 yrs ago). Probably 50-60 birds.They were fairly common as household pets . As years went by natives became more of a "new" thing. So the Ringnecks sort of went away and were replaced by Princesses, then came the colour mutations. Yes, they are noisy, but they really are beautiful looking bird with heaps of character. Next rung up is the Alexandrine, looks similar, but near twice as big. Now that is a challenge!

Return to “Anything else”