Includes Species Profile
Stavros01

Hi,
This are the parents of those two chics in the day they arrive home,
tricolores (4) (Custom).jpg
tricolores (5) (Custom).jpg
Regards
Gustavo
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Stavros01 on 23 Feb 2012, 22:05, edited 1 time in total.
finches247
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hi Stravros01

in one of my books Estrilid Finches in the Picture

says there is a subspecies of Blue Faced Parrotfinches with yellow/orange/light red nape mixed with these colours and extends to under throat subspecies is Erythura Trichroa cyanofrons and country of origin is Vanuatu and New Calendonia.

There are 1 nominate species and 10 Subspecies of Blue Faced Parrotfinches

Cheers
Henry
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Well you have certainly eliminated the risk of another bird being responsible, so that is good. And the information that they have produced normal Blue Faced like themselves last year is helpful. So if they are carrying something and it did not show up before, then it is not going to show up all the time. Another thing confirmed.
LML
LML
Stavros01

finches247 wrote:Hi Stravros01

in one of my books Estrilid Finches in the Picture

says there is a subspecies of Blue Faced Parrotfinches with yellow/orange/light red nape mixed with these colours and extends to under throat subspecies is Erythura Trichroa cyanofrons and country of origin is Vanuatu and New Calendonia.

There are 1 nominate species and 10 Subspecies of Blue Faced Parrotfinches

Cheers
Henry

Hi Henry,

is it possible to post a picture of that Blue faced with yellow/orange/light red nape??

Regards
Gustavo
desertbirds

Quite a few years ago i bought a normal looking pair of Scarlet Chested Parrots, first clutch turned out all par blue, second clutch all normal looking birds bar one chick carrying a extra black feathers around the face and chest. i dont think you can discount the fact that one or both of the parents arent pure just because last year they had normal looking young. Its rare and suprising but it happens.
Stavros01

Ok, but when birds present such type of marks, ussualy they are considered as a non-pure birds and a croosed species.
I am going to wait when they have 4-5 months and see how they turned on.

Regards
Gustavo
Netsurfer

Stavros01 wrote:Ok, but when birds present such type of marks, ussualy they are considered as a non-pure birds and a croosed species.

Regards
Gustavo
Do you have Red-eared Parrot Finches (coloria)?
natamambo

I've googled this for hours, as my family comes from Vanuatu and so it caught my interest as a topic given Henry's comments. I have no memory of seeing parrot finches when travelling there but we were more intent on getting around the villages catching up with folk (and it was over 20 years ago, I did not know much about finches then, more of a parrot person). However...cyanofrons have been recorded on Santo which is only 20 miles or so from where my family lived so it is possible.

Anyway, all I could find was that they differed from the Aussie form in that they had more blue "on the vertex". They appeared on a stamp in 1981. My stamp collection is in a box somewhere but pictures on the web of the stamp show it as having more blue under the beak / on the chin (which would be consistent with the "cyanofrons" which translated literally from the Latin means "blue front". Henry, (said very nicely) check your book again and make sure it is cyanfrons you are describing.

I reckon that the bird/s may well be carrying genes as a result of hybrisation somewhere back in the past.

This image
from this site http://www.arkive.org/red-eared-parrotf ... 73513.html certainly shows a bird with much less red than normal for this species which may suggest some variation occurs naturally.

I reckon that the bird/s may well be carrying genes as a result of hybrisation somewhere back in the past. This image
comes from this website http://www.finchforum.com/viewtopic.php ... &view=next
and the owner states it is a red / blue hybrid.
Stavros01

Netsurfer wrote:
Stavros01 wrote:Ok, but when birds present such type of marks, ussualy they are considered as a non-pure birds and a croosed species.

Regards
Gustavo
Do you have Red-eared Parrot Finches (coloria)?

No, i do not.
That is a very rare specie of Erythrura in Portugal with prices incredible high. Probably there are only 3 or 4 breeders in Portugal
Stavros01

But can we call hybrisation when two species maitte, even if they are a sub-specie from one and another??
I thought that hybrisation was the maitting beetwen diferent species: ex:. Erythrura tricolor and erythrura psittacea.

Gustavo

Return to “Blue Faced Parrotfinches”